Sinister: Breathless

Schaffenberger kschaffe at xxx.edu
Wed Apr 1 21:44:59 BST 1998

Have I seen BREATHLESS???  Yes, thanks to a French Cinema class (it was
amazing that we even watched Godard and Truffaut.  My prof wanted to
watch films like DIVA and COUP DE TORCHON in addition to Cocteau's LA
BELLE ET LA BETE... c'mon... And we had to write a paper comparing the
Cocteau version to the Disney version.  I'm pretty sure my paper ended up
being a scathing criticism of the assignment and her character, but I did
get an A in the class.) A very beautiful film, and, somehow, very B&S,
though I haven't ever heard the sample in "Hurley's Having dreams."   The
stylish striped outfit that the young-- oh what's the American girl's
first name? Patricia?-- gamine wears throughout the movie is somehow
reminiscent of the first Barbie (the one with the slanty, blue-eyeshadow
smothered eyes, pursed red lips, high ponytail and bangs) and her black
and white striped bathing suit, which, in turn, reminds me of the cover
of 3,6,9...  But there I go making image associations again...  So what
was the point of this message??

-Kristen