Sinister: Subtitles and pleasant surprises

Nicole Elger nicolina at xxx.com
Thu Apr 2 22:02:54 BST 1998

On April 2 Tag wrote:

>Pretentious is just a word used by some people for things they're too
>fucking ignorant or lazy to understand. Don't listen to these people,
>they are wrong. Incidentally, I'd recommend you go and see "Happy
>Together", Wong Kar Wai's (Chunking Express) new film. The bloke in
>"Uncut" likes it and so do I. Stylish, moving, lovely photography,
>romantic ... dammit, it's got the lot. I think I waffled on about
>"Chunking Express" before, but that rules too.

Yes Yes Yes, I second both the Wong Kar Wai recommendations. For maximum
effect, see Happy Together while you are Sad Alone. (Um, that sounds
sarcastic but it's not!) I just missed seeing WKW's Fallen Angels in the
theater so will have to try to find it on video. I also recommend another
film out of HOng Kong called "Comrades: Almost a Love Story" -- cheesy
title, but good film, and somewhat reminiscent of Kieslowski, my favorite
director.

On March 31 Tara Widmer wrote:

>>most people get completely wrong impressions about what people are
>>going to look like before they see their picture/meet them.
>So, has anybody ever been pleasantly surprised in this regard? do
>tell... I'm curious

Mmmmm, yes, very pleasantly surprised upon receiving a photo. I can't
report on the first meeting part for another 9 hours or so, when he gets
here. He's in a plane crossing the Atlantic as I write this. GULP!

B&S content? Um, the boy on the plane is the person who introduced me to
B&S and a list member, does that count?

- Nicole
.. who also votes for the return of the happy bunny statement
which she had successfully begged HoneyP for in the first place! :-)

.  .  .  .  n i c o l i n a @ d r i z z l e . c o m  .  .  .  .

i've concluded once again that i'm too fickle for a signature file.