Sinister: we're not terrific but we're competent

Schaffenberger kschaffe at xxx.edu
Fri Apr 3 01:56:11 BST 1998

teri mentioned eric's trip:

> oh, and since sad songs is such a hot topic these days.. the song "behind
> the garage" by erics trip always makes me sad (does anyone know/like that
> song?) and just the other day i was listening to b&s on the porch and the lines,
> "you're worth the trouble and you're worth the pain
>  you're worth the worry, i would do the same..."
> made me quite teary.. *sniff*

This is the song that goes, "It's true that we were brokem up, you could
do anything..." (my interpretation of the lyrics, which may or may not be
right).  Yes.  An Eric's Trip tape was given to me my by favorite friend
Patrick when I was in high school.  I listened to it nonstop, eventually
taping it-- and that song in particular-- for all of my friends.  I
haven't listened to that tape in at least a year.  I think I will go and
find it in the tape box under my bed.  Another sad song: Think (Let
Tomorrow Bee) by Sebadoh, which conjures up all kinds of relationship
questions, doubts, insecurities...

What else can I write to give this post merit?  How about a new topic:
Songs that make us inexplicably happy!  Mine include a b-side by the Cure
called Halo, which reminds me of a very early boyfriend (when I was 14,
to be precise), Plant White Roses by the Magnetic Fields, Check and
Double Check- Stereolab...  Funny, the whole time we've been talking
about sad songs, I've not been able to think of any terribly mopey
tunes.  Now it seems that about 98 per cent of the songs I love are about
very sad things.  Seeing Other People has a nice, bright tune, though the
lyrics don't necessarily make me leap with joy.

-Kristen