Sinister: RE: American Music Club (no B&S)

Russell Sharpe RKS at xxx.uk
Fri Apr 3 10:27:39 BST 1998

>Mike Appelstein wrote:

>>Then there's always American Music Club's middle period, which
>>contains some of the very saddest, most beautiful songs ever written.
>>How many listmembers love "Everclear?"

while Birjinder Anant lamented:

>I do!!  It was the first AMC album I bought and I thought all their
>albums were just as good.   Unfortunately, that wasn't the case at all.
>Their other albums disappointed me, and not just one of them, but three
>(Engine, Mercury, and San Francisco).  But "Everclear" is so wonderful,
>especially the songs on the second side like 'Sick of Food' and 'Royal
>Cafe'.

You don't mention California and United Kingdom, which are every bit as
good as Everclear.  I agree that in Engine they were only just getting
it together, while in San Francisco they were falling apart (though
there are good things on both).  But Mercury is underrated I think.  The
opening bars of I've Been A Mess would be enough to justify it alone:

Lazarus wasn't grateful
For his second wind
For another chance to see his chances
>Fade like the dawn....

as would the mere title of What Godzilla Said To God When His Name
Wasn't Found In The Book Of Life (of which song there is however a far
better version - under the title Nothing Can Bring Me Down - on Mark
Eitzel's live solo album Songs Of Love, which is admittedly a bit rough
for some tastes - he is constantly apologising for the bum notes and
"always fucking this part up".  Comes across as a very sweet human
being, difficult to be with).

Anyone who doesn't know AMC and is interested might try California or
Everclear first...

rustle