Sinister: HMV / NYC

Nick Dastoor nickdastoor at xxx.com
Fri Apr 3 10:29:34 BST 1998

jon g. said:

>bethey was in HMV (a cd shop for those who don't know)

Truer than you might have meant, jon.  Although Our Price is perhaps
an even better example of a CD shop for people who don't know.

My friend Ross works in the big Oxford St HMV store (which perhaps
caters for those who do know too), but he has to deal with lots of
people who don't know all the time.  The other day he was manning the
listening desk place and some bloke came up with some CDs to try, one
of which was Lazy Line Painter Jane.  Ross got cross because the man
was obviously dithering so he said "Look, just buy it.  You won't
regret it".  There is a an army of B&S fans working at the Oxford St
HMV, and they spend their tea breaks discussing the wonder of the
glockenspiel in "Get me away from here, I'm dying" and such things.

Perhaps 'army' is the wrong word for a group of Belle and Sebastian
fans.  What would be an appropriate collective noun? A woos?

Right, now for the real point of my post.  I'm going all the way to
Brooklyn, NYC on Monday for a ten day holiday.  Would any of you lot
who live over that way like to meet up for a drink or something while
I'm over?  I'm quite nice, really. I realise I've left all this a bit
late now, but I can always check my clever yahoo mail in some internet
cafe over there.

nick d.