Sinister: e-instamatics, spice girls, grannies and two bad jokes.

Rod Begbie rod at xxx.com
Fri Apr 3 15:25:14 BST 1998

Ink Polaroids are alright, but in this electronic medium (which go nowhere
near ink), I think they should be renamed e-instamatics.  Here's a couple
from me.

The first one is off my class photo being taken.  It's a cold and windy
day, and we had to stand around for 10 minutes while the other class had
their photo taken, and we're all a bit fed up by now.  We're standing on a
slight hill outside the department in three rows.  Kathy's still a bit
upset because Rod M threw a worm at her.  Most of us in the back row have
smiles on our faces, cause Steven G has just stood up again after falling
over when the photographer asked him to step to the right a bit.  The
photographer is just about ready to take the photo, and has just counted
'3..2..1..'  When he got to two, though, Charles whipped out a pair of
those comedy Groucho Mark glasses+nose+moustache things and is holding it
above his face.  The photographer doesn't seem to have noticed.

This next one is off the queue for the autoteller in the Grassmarket in
Edinburgh at about 12:15 on a Friday night.  There's nine people in the
queue.  Using the machine is two burly looking blokes who are swearing at
it for not giving them any money.  Behind them are three girls who are
freezing cold due to being underdressed for the Edinburgh night.  Dave is
behind them, wishing he was still in the pub.  And behind him is a guy and
two girls, none of whom seem to really know each other, but give the
appearance of a drug deal in progress. Near the front of the queue is an
old bloke trying to sell copies of the next morning's Daily Record.  Sean
is trying to explain to him that this is a bad place to try and sell the
paper, becuase anyone in the queue is only going to have tenners on them,
so aren't going to have any change to buy a paper, and besides, if they're
taking money out, they're probably about to go to a pub or club, and
aren't going to want to take a newspaper with them.

Right... having got that out of my system...

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, jon g. wrote:

> What people like Rod Begbie don't understand when they say
> >In my considered opinion, da Spiceys ROOL!
> is that people our age and below genuinely like the Spice Girls, Backstreet
> Boys etc like we like B&S, whereas people like Rod only like them as a joke.
> It is a joke, isn't it?  It must be.  It can't be true.

If it was a joke, would I have spent £19.50 on a ticket for the show
tomorrow night?

No, I seriously do like The Spice Girls.  For far too long, girls have had
the monopoly on teeny-bop bands.  I've watched jealously as my sister and
her friends headed off to Take That concerts with their "Show Us Your
Knobbie, Robbie" banners, and coming back with their stories about meeting
the band at their hotel or at the airport.

Now it's my turn.  I'm going to go tomorrow, and dance and jump and scream
and sing and just generally let make a tit of myself whilst surrounded by
schoolgirls (which isn't a bad way to spend an evening by any stretch of
the imagination).

It will be exciting.  It will be fun.  No, it won't be deep, meaningful or
4 REAL, but it *will* be something quite unsurpassable, I am sure.

Full review on Monday.

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Lesley Higgins wrote:

> "oh you canny push yer granny off a bus
>  you canny push yer granny off a bus
>  no you canny push yer granny
>  cos she's yer mammy's mammy,
>  no you canny push yer granny off a bus"

I liked The Singing Kettle's version of this, which finished with the
chorus

"you can shove yer other granny off the bus,
you can shove yer other granny off the bus,
you can shove yer other granny,
cause she's yer daddy's mammy,
you can shove your other granny off the bus."

Oh, and Debbie, I love Dazed & Confused, I just couldn't place the quote
when I was sat at my terminal.  All I could picture was some American
slackerish-style movie, and all I'd managed to acheive was that I knew it
wasn't The Breakfast Club.  Serves me right for being a smart-arse,
really.

You know how Hugh Grant was in that film about four weddings and a
funeral?  Well, Richard E Grant's made a film about four dogs and a
blackbird.  It's called (all together now) Spiceworld The Movie.

A woman goes into a pub and asks the barman for a 'double entendre', so he
gives her one.

Later, peeps!

Rod.

                                    Rod Begbie @ http://www.begbie.com |