Sinister: Subtitles? If I wanted to read I'd buy a book.

Schaffenberger kschaffe at xxx.edu
Fri Apr 3 15:25:49 BST 1998

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Tag wrote:

> Pretentious? ... why??  Kristen - I do know why you said that ... but
> don't.  Anyone who has ever professed a liking for any film or book or
> record that required a bit of thought has been called pretentious.
> Pretentious is just a word used by some people for things they're too
> fucking ignorant or lazy to understand.  Don't listen to these people,
> they are wrong.

Which is the beauty of calling oneself/one's taste pretentious.  It's
self-irony, calling oneself that before someone else (someone else who is
ignorant) does so.  Really, I consider myself a very down-to-earth person
who happens to like a lot of films, books, and records that require a
little thought.

That being said, here's my two bits on the sleaze quiz.  Personally, very
few of the things in the quiz seemed "sleazy" to me (ie smooching, having
sex, drinking).  Sleazy conjures up images of men named Chaz wearing
sharkskin suits, oily hair slicked back, pointing two fingers at you and
winking across the bar, a tiny filling sparkling in a front tooth as they
grin obnoxiously. You know the groove.  This is true sleaze.  I hope there
isn't anyone on the list named Chaz.  If so, I apologize.

Reel Around the Fountain is an extremely sad song, I agree.

The Boy and his Dog (is that the actual title? I feel like it's wrong) is a
nice, campy movie, but I wouldn't call it a favorite, personally.  I thought
it was silly.

This weekend is Parent's Weekend at my school.  I wish I were seeing
Tortoise like um, er, I don't remember who, but whoever is going in the
near future.  I'm extremely jealous.

-Kristen