Sinister: i paid the price for gravity

e. kraft eakraft at xxx.edu
Sat Apr 4 19:57:28 BST 1998

this new thread about party music is timely, as i commandeered the stereo
at a shindig last night and blasted the spot with the glorious sounds of
'Lazy Line Painter Jane.' generally, it was well received, and bip-bopping
commenced. playing Belle & Sebastian in crowded places has become sort of
akin to a mating call for me (except without the sexual bit)--generally,
i've found that anyone who likes B&S is going to be a person worth knowing.
after LLPJ i threw in yo la tengo's latest album; this was somewhat less
well-received (the philistines!) and signalled the end of my brief stint as
party dj; a glorious stint indeed, while it lasted.

speaking of YLT, i'm listening to the new Dump album (_a plea for
tenderness_) right now, which is fabulous. (Dump, in case you didn't know,
is a one-man band comprising james mcnew, the bassist from yo la tengo.) if
you like b&s and yo la tengo, chances are you'll like Dump--i think it's
the the area of overlap in the venn diagram that is my pop sensibility,
which i picture as one big circle representing B&S and another big'un for
YLT.

oh, what am i on about today?

.erik