Sinister: Yo La Tengo

Schaffenberger kschaffe at xxx.edu
Mon Apr 6 14:12:09 BST 1998

On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, John Bleasdale wrote:

> To whoever was asking about YLT records, a good
> album to get would be "I Can Hear the Heart Beating
> as One". Autumn Sweater is one of my all time
> favourite songs by anyone, ever.

I Can Hear... is one of the most perfect and (ooh, I hate this word)
accessible YLT albums, esp. for a new listener.  For sentimental reasons,
though, I must admit that PAINFUL is my favorite YLT album.  Maybe one of
my favorite albums ever.  Th epic "From a Motel 6," the heartwrenchingly
beautiful cover of The Only Ones' "The Whole of the Law," feedback,
distortion, the catchy "Double Dare"... all of these songs move me in
inexplicable ways.  Though many YLT fans seem to love ELECTRO-PURA, most
of the songs are just now starting to not get on my nerves.  "Tom
Courtenay" is cited as being one of their best songs ever, but, really, I
find it a little too catchy, if that's possible.  Time for me to stop now.

-Kristen