Sinister: chewed to a pulp

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.net
Tue Apr 7 09:44:34 BST 1998

Runegg wrote:

> Hi,
> So there I was, innocently reading the village voice, when I come
> across this
> b.s. about B/S, in the middle of a worshipful review of Pulp: "Belle
> and
> Sebastian might be the hot Morrissey clones of the day, but Pulp beat
> them
> soundly in terms of craft, as well as that old milk of human
> kindness."
> huhwhat?  fight the power, and all that.

hmmm, i'm thinking that all the Smiths parallels i and others drew a
while back were one big mistake.  As was perhaps their covering Reel
Around The Fountain... if simply for the fact that many may read the
Smiths references and make an assumption (wrongly) about some obsession
with Morrissey which completely misses the point, the point being that
the Smiths interesting work lay in a two year period at most, and that
it is most likely an interest in that work that informs something of
belle & sebastian. I think it would be fairer and more stylish to
suggest that they might be Orange Juice clones on the back of their
version of In A Nutshell but of course that would be just as silly.
See, what do i know?

keep the faith

the duke

--