Sinister: you should never flog a dead horse...

sezah haras at xxx.au
Tue Apr 7 15:13:09 BST 1998

ok groovers, so i know this subject is dead and almost buried, but i must
put in my 2 bobs worth as i have been dwelling on the subject for *such* a
long time!!...such a ditherer...but i was nervous, this being my first
posting and all...of course i'm talking about the sad songs thingy
(collective groan)...i know, i know, but bear with me!!
i think i may have given this just a *little* too much thought, but it was
hard for me, because i found that most of the songs that make me feel sad
also make me feel happy at the same time!! it's just too much fun at times
to wallow in ones sorrow. it can tend to be a comforting experience i
find...
the ultimate one for me is THE CARPENTERS...they get me every time, but
especially "goodbye to love", "solitaire" and "rainy days and
mondays"...these are a real indulgence!! others that make it to my list are:
NICK CAVE - loom of the land
PJ HARVEY - plants and rags
THE GOD MACHINE - it's all over
LOU REED - perfect day
RADIOHEAD - street spirit, climbing up the walls, lucky
SMASHING PUMPKINS - to forgive
ARROSA - bells
PEARL JAM - black

unfortunately my happy list is not quite as comprehensive...this was even
harder to formulate!! most of my happy songs tend to be those that are good
for driving on those perfectly wonderous days when it is a joyous occasion
to be alive!!! many of you have recounted such experiences....
anyway, 3 i shall share with you now are:
THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS - "bird house in your soul". was most impressed to see
someone else mentioned this chirpy marvel...just pipped to the post!!
SPENCER DAVIS GROUP - "gimme some lovin' "
STYLE COUNCIL - "shout to the top". this song is perhaps one of my favourite
high school remembrances as it featured in one - no, THE only, P.E class i
ever enjoyed!! we spent the entire period running around like maniacs,
calling it "modern dance", this song blaring out and reverberating around
the gym...what a feeling!!

you will no doubt notice the absence of any masterpiece from that
group...you know, whatstheirname - they are the reason this list was
formulated in the first place...you know the ones...8) well they would need
their very own "feeling" list altogether, but that's another posting....

happy easter dears...
sezah
xo