Sinister: sad songs say so little

Suzanne Schroeder suzsch at xxx.net
Wed Apr 8 23:38:18 BST 1998

I'm looking over all the lists of sad songs people are writing about, and I
came to the startling conclusion:  I've never had a song make me cry.  I've
had them make me happy, nervous, concerned, fulfilled, dreamy, and well,
even romantic shall we say, but I've never had a song make me cry.  maybe
it's just me because I'm sort of a callous in that area anyway, but then I
realize that movies and even stupid tv ads brought in the tears.  Even the
Disney movie with the 2 dogs and a cat trying to make their way home made
me sad and I didn't even like the movie that much, but bizarrely, I can sit
and listen to well crafted songs about lost love with deep images within
the lyrics, but I just sit there.  Then, I think maybe it's the words and
lack of images, but I can cry at books.  But I'm also a musician and I
wonder if that has anything to do with it.  To me, I cry (figuratively)
through my instrument and not through any other medium.  Shouldn't I be
empathetic towards a sad violin, instead?  I don't know.  It;'s weird.  The
point of my missive is not the make everyone think they are freaks for
doing so, but I'm trying to figure out how  I can go about experiencing
deep sadness with a song and fully apprecitae music to its fullest?  Do you
relate the words to your life?  Does the music recall memories?