Sinister: So long and thanks for all the fish

Ian Turton buffalo at xxx.uk
Thu Apr 9 14:56:50 BST 1998

Keith Watson wrote:

> It'd be a pity, cause Melody Maker seem to have treated B+S with much
> more respect, which I find annoying cause in my opinion it's a
> terrible
> paper - indie guitar weekly, Steve Lamacq's fanzine etc.

Up until the back-end of last year I'd have completely disagreed. I buy
music papers for two main purposes - reviews and release/tour news. The
latter is handled well by both papers, but let's face it you'd bleeding
well hope so. As to the former, the quality of reviews is based on two
things - what get's reviewed (i.e. 'breadth' of music) and who reviews
'em. IMO the Melody Maker has always had a broader, more eclectic range
of reviewed music. This is I'm sure in no small part due to the quality
of writers. The likes of Price, Kulkarni, Parkes, Roberts etc. piss all
over anything the NME has had for years. They're much better at using
the English language to describe the music and their own responses to
it, and they're reference points more accurate and frequently
original.They're also openly at odds with the sort of thing that seems
to piss you off - an unhealthy concentration on all things indie. Price
and Kulkarni are constantly berating the readership for their lazy ass
musical choices (cf. Price describing them as 'indie pond-life' in a TLC
review). I guess my overall point is, yes, there's lots of shit in the
MM. But at least there's something worth reading.

Unfortunately the latter part of the above should, in keeping with my
first sentence, have been in the past tense. These guys don't seem to
write much anymore. I've stopped buying MM. So Keith, you're probably
right. Cock it.

regards,

yerluvinuncleTurt