Sinister: B&S' Instruments

Mick McMick mick at xxx.com
Thu Apr 9 15:04:14 BST 1998

Hello there,
	I was reading that bit about Miss Johansson's love of such and such
trumpet part in Beautiful, and I got to thinking. You all know very well
that B&S has a lovely set of instrumentation. I guess that's one of the
benefits of being an octet (or were they more numerous at last count?).
It occurs to me, though, that there are still some instruments that
haven't been featured in B&S songs that ought to. Sure, we've heard
cello, violin, trumpet, electric organs, harmonicas, pianos, but there
are some other possibilities. What about an accordian? I recently saw a
musical performance by a trio of accordianists called the Three
Accordians of the Apocalypse. This has led me to understand that an
accordian can be quite a sad instrument, if used correctly. I would hope
they wouldn't use it a happy manner, because that just wouldn't seem to
fit them. Am I the only one who's ever wanted a P!O!P band to use steel
drums to some effect? That would be pretty nice. Maybe a steel drum solo
or something. Anyhow, can anyone else come up with some other
possibilities? Clarinet? Hm, there's another one...

 /"\_/"\_/"\    Mick McMick - mick at indiepop.com - ICQ#5056758
 \         /    Sandcastle Records - sandcastlerecords at indiepop.com