Sinister: Topics? Picnics? It's all bloody chocolate around here.

Rod Begbie rod at xxx.com
Thu Apr 9 18:29:39 BST 1998

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998 afoley at csc.com wrote:

> Sorry, No B&S content, but on the above note, I thought I'd share with you
> something
> else I heard today:
> George is to re-record an old hit of his, so to speak...It's going to be
> called
> Careless Wrister.

Also doing the rounds on uk.misc:

Careless Wanker
Wank Me Off Before You Go-Go.

Oh, and the rumour that Mr Theodopolopolus was found with a chocolate bar
shoved up his arse.  That would be a Careless (yes, you've guessed it...)
Wispa.

I suppose it'll be another week or so before someone comes up with
something funny.

Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about.  I mean... who can
honestly say that they haven't been walking down the street at some point,
and had to suddenly rush in to a public lav for an unexpected five
knuckle shuffle?

<ferris bueller teacher>
Anyone?  Anyone?
</ferris bueller teacher>

Isn't that new Jesus And Mary Chain single just incredibly fantastic?
'specially the fourth track ("McDonalds is shit, McDonalds is shit, Burger
King is it, McDonalds is shit")  The new Snuff EP isn't bad (not enough
punk bands employ a brass section), but wasn't worth the five quid Fopp
were asking for it.  <silence... in the distance, a bell tolls> Oh, and
some Fraggles Did You Knows...

All bits involving humans were different for the different countries
showing FR.  Uncle Travelling Matt's postcards were all done separately,
and each locale had a different human living on Fraggle Rock.  In Britain
it was the lighthouse keeper whereas in North America he was an inventor.
They all owned a dog called Sprockett, though.  (except for France where
he was called Croquette.  FACT!)

The aim of the show was to educate kids.  Jim Henson's vision was to have
all children growing up, learning tolerance to people who appeared
different, but really just were the same inside.  Hence the three distinct
colonies on the island - the Doozers (who relied upon the Fraggles to eat
their structures), the Fraggles (who relied upon the Doozers for the
Doozersticks and the Gorgs for the radishes), and the Gorgs (who seemed
really mean, but we soon discovered that Junior was just as big a softy as
Bobo, Wembley, Boober, Moky or Red.)

Wembley was named after Wembley Stadium, because Jim Henson was in England
during development, and happened to be reading the sports page while they
were trying to come up with names.

I should explain that Jim Henson is one of my heroes (along with Larry
Wall.  Go fig!), so I've read loads of books about his work.  I cannot
recommend highly enough "Jim Henson: The Works", published by Random
House.  Big, glossy and full of photos of his art.  It even explains how
Kermit the Frog rode a bicycle in The Muppet Movie.

Rod.

                                    Rod Begbie @ http://www.begbie.com |