Sinister: kitsch n' sink

Johnston, John CT John.Johnston at xxx.uk
Fri Apr 10 00:19:22 BST 1998

Popkids

There's been some talk about people liking teen bands in an ironic
ooh-it's-funky-but-really-it's-crap-but-I-love it kind of way. But I've
never seen anything as ironic as the line up at the club I went to last
night. Lenny Beige at the Regency Rooms is a sort of easy listening club
so ironic nineties sensibilites are a must but with a bill including Leo
Sayer (small man - big hair, even now), 'veteran hoofer' Lionel Blair
and Robbie "Show us yer nobbie" Williams (who made topical gags about
George Michael and someone he refered to as 'Gary') resistance was
useless. Now cool-hipster irony is fine but I say you can't beat a good
honest good time. But I was having a good time, I'm sure of it. With Leo
bounding round the venue grabbing girls and singing "You make me feel
like dancing" it was brilliant. And Williams - he was superb. So he may
be marketed, and guilty of all the grotesque sins of capitalist popmusic
but by thunder he's showbiz! He rocked that room like there's no
tommorrow. And sure  it said nothing to me about my life but it was
great!

Genevieve - please don't get a tattoo at least not of anybody's name.
The coolest tattoo I've ever heard of was a 'friend of a friend' who had
a tattoo on his toe. It said "toe". How cool is that?? Perhaps you could
get 'bum' tattooed on your bum - that'd be great.

xx
John