Sinister: further interpretations of sinister dreams - a dissertation

**Megan Lehar** mkl206 at xxx.edu
Thu Apr 16 05:25:10 BST 1998

*sigh*

despite my apparently hugely scientific and wildly popular original dream
interpretations, i got a B- on my psych test.  it should have been an
A++++++, i know, but some teachers just don't understand progressive
thinking if it bites them on the ass (though for the record, i haven't).
oh well.  regardless, i have decided to return to the patients who really
love and need me, you all.  my lovely sinisterines.  and of course, the
lovely stuart david, who a great many *unnamed* people would like to give
"help" to.

At 12:18 AM 2/27/98, Amanda Bergman wrote:
>But like the Partridge Family on Prozac, B&S still have their dreams. "Last
>night I dreamt that my wife Karn became a bellydancer in Glasgow," says
>David. "I guess this means she's going to run away and join the circus
>soon. That's what comes from eating eggplant."

why are they like the partridge family on prozac?  wouldn't that just make
an excessively happy partridge family?  sounds more like the danielson
family than b&s to me (i think this interviewer is just trying to sound
cool, what a poof).  but anyway, this dream is probably just some sort of
wish fulfillment on stu d's part.  knowing his fascination with porn, this
is probably just an extension.  or it could be eggplant, nasty vegetable.

At 11:52 PM 2/27/98, PKHINTZ wrote:
>Dr. Minka,
>
>        So I had this dream a few weeks ago.  Belle and Sebastian moved
>across the
>ocean to Washington DC to become a certain listee's* neighbors.  I was very
>jealous--I threw a fit and squealed like a piggy.  She soon joined the band to
>sing backup vocals.  Yeah, it was great to hear her on the songs, but is not
>the house next to me good enough for the band?  Can not I stand on the stage
>and sing?--no one would probably even notice me with the other hundred members
>of the band.  Hrrumph.
>
>        *(Name withheld not to give B&S any ideas; I do not like to be a
>piggy).

well mr. hintz, this seems to be the opposite of wish fulfillment, a sort
of worst case scenario dream.  did you eat eggplant before going to sleep
by chance?  otherwise, this dream could be a premonition of things to come.
i suggest buying up any houses in pam berry's neighaborhood that may be
for sale in order to avoid making any unpleasant animal sounds.

At 11:47 AM 3/2/98, Thaian N Ton  wrote:
>well beautiful listees;
>
>it's finally happened, i've finally had my first b&s (wet) dream.  no,
>no, not really.
>
>so i won't ramble, i'll just put it short & sweet:
>
>since i have been going to graduate school interviews , i've been fed
>exceptionally well, and i dreamt that due to the lovely cakes and lovely
>food i've been scoffing down, my waist was lost and grew larger than my
>hips and i was walking about with big saddle bags on the sides of my
>hips.  then i checked my e-mail in my distressed state and found this
>e-mail from a dj friend in montreal, and it was a list of the top 10
>singles in germany.  ooh ooh and get this, b&s was #1 and #4, with
>singles i'd never heard of before.  one, i distinctly remember called
>"he's so heavy" ...
>
>ah well, any psychoanalysis on that one?

perhaps this is a literal translation of your relationship to the band's
music.  i know that i love the lyrics because they tend to reflect my life
in a more eloquent manner than i could ever articulate.  in your dream,
they seem to be doing so for you, by writing songs about weight gain.
apparently, your subconcious has a good sense of humor.

At 6:51 PM 3/4/98, JOSEPH FOSTER wrote:
>OK, here is another B&S dream related thing!
>Last week I had a dream where I was casually looking through a copy of
>the sun, and they had a top 20 albums poll and Tigermilk was no.1. Could
>someone please tell me what the frount cover looks like, I don't know.
>In my dream it was a black pattern on red, and may have looked a bit
>like the cover of 'Gold Against The Soul'. Ok Bye.

the cover you imagined sounds like the sinister cover.  a wish-fulfillment
dream again, i think.  btw, the tweenet page has copies of all the album
covers.

At 12:23 AM 3/11/98, ooon wrote:
>well, i really don't think many people would want
>to know about this.  but i hope speaking out
>would help it go off my head a bit.
>
>it was very early this year and goes something like this...
>
>i was watching tv. in some chat show. Honey was a guest. (this Honey
>is in reality a famous model(nude sometimes i think)/singer/actress
>in thailand)  the host asked her why she disappeared lately.
>(in reality she got married and have 5 kids or something)
>she said she was busy running a belle & sebastian mailing list.
>the host said 'ahhh what a fabulous band'. much exciting noise
>from studio audience.
>Honey reached into her handbag and brought out her vinyl copy
>of Tigermilk, revealing that actually the girl on the cover
>was her (laughing viciously) then jumped up and sang her
>tiger song.
>('Tiger/Tigress' was her first hit single 7-8 years ago.
>she's no good singer but interesting to look at in those
>tiger outfit)
>
>at this point i was waken up, to my immense relieve that it was
>just a dream.  i can't really tell in english how rather sordid
>it all was.  it haunts me until this day.  everytime i read
>Paul's message, Honey's face will pop up in my head saying those
>words. makes me feel funny in both sense of the word.
>
>i know how stupid this is and i sincerely hope Paul won't get
>offended! i swear i've been trying to replace her face with your
>baby photo but it's not fully successful yet. SIGH...

oon, i, too, had a dream about honey.  luckily, it was not so psychically
damaging as yours seems to have been.  normally, i would diagnose this as a
pedophilliac dream aimed at the six year old honey, but due to the list's
obsession with sex and porn star names, i'm willing to let this go as just
another example of the sinister list slithering into a innocent listee's
dreams.  the next honey sex dream, though, won't be so lucky.

At 11:46 AM 3/11/98, Nicole Elger wrote:
>OK, I've got more proof that this list is infiltrating my dreams. I didn't
>have another B&S dream, but did have one about stripping which must have
>been inspired by all the porn star posts.
>
>So I was a stripper in the dream, except I wasn't _really_ a stripper, I
>was only doing it for a few hours so I could do some kind of investigation
>at the club. I remember that my intentions were good, but I don't remember
>what exactly they were. The music wasn't great, but I remember thinking I
>was pulling it off quite well (ha, no pun intended) and no one was
>suspecting a thing. But then I looked at some of the faces and started
>thinking, "Oh God, what if I see someone from work!?"
>
>Suddenly I was out of the strip club and playing in a band with my best
>friend from high school and a bunch of other people. Her cute younger
>brother was the singer and I had some ridiculous role like cymbal or
>tambourine player. (No offense to anyone dedicated to those instruments!)
>We played one song and were astonishingly good. Right then, when we were
>on the verge of stardom and having a mailing list dedicted to us ... my
>15-pound cat jumped on my stomach, like he always does when things are
>getting good in my dreams. Grrrr.

ok, i'm not sure that this can be entirely blamed on the belle and
sebastian list.  have you been watching naughty movies or hanging out in
times square?

At 9:34 PM 3/13/98, blink at inexpress.net wrote:
>AH! B&S dream...
>I was sitting in a theatre watching a documentary on Stuart Murdoch,he was
>very tall and it showed him in plaid shirts walking down beaches and
>skipping stones,I kept going "stuart stuart you're the only one who
>understands me" and people kept hushing me..anyways after that came the Dog
>On Wheels video which consisted of fast moving,awe inspiring shots of land
>(from above,like shot in a helicoptre) and great rivers except at the very
>end of the video it was just shots of lots of sad homeless starving looking
>puppies...as i walked out,this tall chin length blondish hair boy wearing
>silver rings and quite cuddly muddly stopped me to talk about B&S when
>suddenlt some girl appears and he starts kissing her and I feel quite
>uncomfortable so I run off and he's like 'Where you going!'
>and then I dunno..I'm walking along some desert like place with train tracks
>and I see my friends wave me over and I try and ignore her and then she says
>something but I take it as something insane cos I'm usually very
>mild-mannered cos I went
>crazy and started throwing rocks at her mother's head and they mad me get in
>the van with them and we are arguing and my friend said soemthing like
>'FINE! GO BACK TO YOUR BELLE AND SEBASTIAN THEN!' so I jump out of the
>van,and magically I am somewhere else,and this guy (this other friend) is
>leaving somewhere and I'm like 'oh I'll walk you there' and for some reason
>my mom appear and she's like 'Oh! *wink* yes,I understand you can WALK with
>him' and she thinks she is helping me cos she thinks I want to get this boy
>alone and i'm like 'no it's not like that' and i start running and i'm back
>at those dusty traintracks and suddenly i realize i'm all alone...

ah genni, you're giving me something to work with here.  as with chris'
dream in the previous dream interpretation email, the fact that you are
*watching* the events shows a dissociation from the band, a sort of
powerlessness and passivity in your life.  the fact that you're speaking,
and being hushed could mean that you're trying to develop more control over
your life, and others are trying to repress you and hold you back.  the
whole dog on wheels thing is weird.  i could sort of interpret it as how
you feel about the song, the mixture of stirring music and sad lyrics.  but
then, i'd probably be full of shit.  so nevermind.  the boy who stopped
you... i really don't have anything to go on there.  could that have
something to do with a real life event at the time?  or maybe you see
yourself as the girl that boys will be friends with, but not be attracted
too?  again, i'm clutching at straws here.  perhaps i deserved that b after
all.  the whole throwing rocks thing could be a manifestation (sorta) of
your rebellion.  i know that b&s doesns't seem terribly rebellious, but i
assume that when you live on a farm in canada, and you're in high school,
that's a divergence from the norm that's not really appreciated by others.
so you're rebelling against friends and parents and running toward a music
that represents perhaps a bigger way in which you are different from other
people, one that maybe they want to minimize.  and the rest....
misunderstanding, and wandering and aloneness, boohoo.  oh dear.

At 10:55 PM 4/4/98, blink at inexpress.net wrote:
>Oh I had a list member dream... (just their name cos I don't know what he
>looks like) anyways,this one friend of mine,she was telling me about this
>wild and wonderful one night stand she had in London "oh yeah we went out
>and got everthign pierced and then spent the night together" me:"oh who was
>this?" her:"his name was tag"
>weird baby,i say weird....

as if the last dream wasn't enough....  all i can say is, um, well, there
really isn't anything to be said to this one.

allright, that's enough for this one.  this email is longer than most of my
papers for class.  and sickly lil me needs her beauty sleep, so goodnight.

xox
megan

ps - star, my feminist side doesn't like the idea of being a cheerleader.
however, if you get sparkly pompoms, i *may* be persuadable....

mkl206 at is8.nyu.edu

visit the magnetic fields web page at:
http://www.dissemination.com/megan/magneticfields/