Sinister: Gender bending - The Happy Death of Robert McTaggart

poetryplace2 poetryplace2 at xxx.uk
Thu Apr 16 13:13:20 BST 1998

Vice Corporal Miller wrote:

> on the plus side, all this has given me time to think about people with
two
> christian names or two surnames, the freaks. Chris is in good company,
just
> look at this list:
> Andrew Dean, Michael Roddddddd from Screen Test, Lenny Henry, Jesse
James,
> Ben Elton, Elton John, Rodddddddd Stewart and George Michael.
> Mitchell Fraser, on the other hand, is a member of a much more exclusive
> club:
> Wilkie Collins and, erm, Brad Pitt.

Indeed. I was intrigued to read the "great" Douggie Coupland debate between
Ruth "No I'm a boy really" McCurry and Alan "No, really, it's Debbie"
Prior. What are the chances of that happening, eh? It makes me all
misty-eyed for the days when Petey came on as P Miller/Arantxa Sanchez
Viccario. I used to think that was his drag name, and that he had a comely
alter ego who looked a little like that Margarita Pracatan woman from Clive
James.

Keith "what kind of computers do you use then" Watson wrote:

> >    I'm surprised to see that we haven't had a mail from Sweden from Tag
> >yet, although perhaps he hasn't got his "plastic pal" with him, that's
no
> >excuse though cause Trousers managed to send an anonymous mail from an
> >Internet Saddo Cafe this morning to the list. I think it's about time we
> >received a postcard from Sweden.

I think I know  the answer to this little conundrum. Eagle-eyed viewers may
have noticed an advert for the film "Twilight of the Ice Nymphs" in last
Friday's Grauniad. I always hoped that Tag had simply imagineered this
film, but it seems like it's fer real. And who should be quoted on the ad?
"Deliriously absurd" - Robert McTaggart. I'm not sure who he's describing
there, but he obviously spontaneously combusted at the sight of it. At
least he died a happy tag.

Oh and Miller, this week's poem really did end like that, I just forgot the
fullstop. The saddo cafe had a defective keyboard, but other than that I
can heartily recommend it.

As you were

Trousers
xxxxx