Sinister: I've hoovered, polished & tidied -- But I still haven't cleaned the , fridge.

Rod Begbie rod at xxx.com
Thu Apr 16 16:57:36 BST 1998

Greetings PopChums!

Ho-hum... finals are drawing closer, so I haven't been in at the Inertnet
for a while.  Hey!  Ho!  And, indeed, let's go...

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Johnston, John CT wrote:

> Genevieve - please don't get a tattoo at least not of anybody's name.
> The coolest tattoo I've ever heard of was a 'friend of a friend' who had
> a tattoo on his toe. It said "toe". How cool is that?? Perhaps you could
> get 'bum' tattooed on your bum - that'd be great.

I knew someone who had an eye tatooed onto each bumcheek.  His party piece
was to invite girls to kiss him between the eyes, then drop his keks.

Lovely fellow.  Answered to the name of "Yeti".

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Alan Prior wrote:

> ok, i'm just watching Top of the Pops

Which is getting it's umpteenth revamp in the summer.  Ho-hum.  Does
anyone watch TOTP just for the theme tune?

And wasn't that Jo Whiley thing cack last night?

> Please don't anyone start accusing me of being ageist i just think people
> should know when to stop, ie. after they've reached their peak (did Daniel
> O'Donnel have one?) and shouldn't keep flogging a dead horse

The bus I get home goes past the Edinburger Playhouse.  Last summer, there
was a queue outside for *four* days of Daniel O'Donnell fans waiting for
tickets of their beloved.  They had deckchairs out and banners and posters
and it was truly terrifying.  They were all ladies "of a certain age".
Fashion Tip:  Legging are *not* (I repeat, *NOT*) flattering.  Especially
if your arse is already brushing the pavement.

Hmmm... Upcoming Shows at the Playhouse:  Yes, Roy "Chubby" Brown, a Queen
tribute band, and Gary Barlow.  Let's just bomb the f---ing building now
and be done with it.  (Actually, let's not bother.. "Sesame Street's Let
Be Friends" is on in a fortnight)

> can you guess that i'm ever so slightly bored? as i've previously said,
> there are sooo many ways of avoiding studying...think i'll go and gaze out
> the window for a while. although eastenders is on soon...

These exams are costing me a fortune, cause I keep on going out for walks,
and since I don't smoke any more, I tend to just walk to the supermarket/
corner shop/all night garage and buy some Pringles or cookies or
Cup-A-Soups or whatever, whether I need them or not.

What is the point of "croutons" in Cup-A-Soups?  They just get in the way
and make the soup difficult to drink.

On Sun, 12 Apr 1998, Jim Nisbet wrote:

> Did anyone else see the compilation of bands from 'Don't Look Down' on
> Scottish Television last Thursday night/Friday morning?

One of them was shown a couple of new years ago.  I got in at some
unsuitable hour, switched on the telly, and proceeded to shout "F---ing
hell!  It's Urusei Yatsura" at some of the comatose bodies curled up in
sleeping bags on the carpet.  I wasn't terribly popular after that.

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Sarah wrote:

> hmm, other topic, i used to obsessed with buyng the maker, just for a
> few writers, sorry to say it, but then they stopped writing, the SPICE
> GIRLS popped up on the front cover, i've given up cos my olf favey paper
> turne into Smash Hits. NO, reading Smash hits is NOT soofunny and
> ironic, its being a sad tosser.

Smash Hits *was* very good until about 18 months ago.  Mark Sutherland
(now editor of Melody Maker, and a damn fine writer) was their "King of
Indie" and the quirky sense of humour of the magazine made for
entertaining reading.  Then the editor left (to edit Sky) and a dopey
bitch Mirror showbiz writer took over, and the whole thing lost direction
totally.

I mean, pick up a copy of the Hits now, and compare it to the Hits of old.
The days of "Crap Joke Corner" and "Professor Trevor Clevertrousers" and
"The Nosey-Parker Interview".  It just ain't the same.

MS's replacement as indie writer, Ben Knowles, is also working on the
Maker now, I notice.

FWIW, IPC's mission statement for the two papers is to separate the
readership of the inkies.  NME will be aimed at an older audience, whereas
the Maker will become a kind of half-way point for teenagers who want to
be seen with a "credible" music mag, but find the NME a bit too far
leftfield.  'strue.

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, The Boy With The X-Ray Eyes! wrote:

> On the subject of people with 2 surnames, when I was about 6 i had a
> freind called Campbell Steele, as my name is colin campbell, we decided
> that if we ever got married he would be called campbell campbell!
> cool, huh.

I met someone called "Campbell Bell", who was generally known as "Camp
Bellbell".  'strue.

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, poetryplace2 wrote:

> Indeed. I was intrigued to read the "great" Douggie Coupland debate between
> Ruth "No I'm a boy really" McCurry and Alan "No, really, it's Debbie"
> Prior. What are the chances of that happening, eh?

And finally, my useful hint for the day...  If you're wanting technical
advice in a support newsgroup, post using a girl's name.  You get about 20
times more responses.

	rosie
	   xxx

--