Sinister: THAT NME interview part ii

Andrew.Dean at xxx.uk Andrew.Dean at xxx.uk
Fri Apr 17 10:43:06 BST 1998

that looked ok. second part then.

BELLE & SEBASTIAN ARE both busy and prone to indecision As such, when we
pull up in front of the Grosvenor Cafe in Glasgow's West End (the
apocryphal starting point for the band, and, oh yes, Del Amitri's local),
we can't be sure who will be there.
     One thing's for certain, it won't be guitarist Stevie Jackson. We've
just seen him marching oft in the opposite direction. Nor will it be the
man responsible for all their songs to date bar one. Stuart Murdoch has now
officially stopped doing interviews altogether, lest he overshadows the
rest of the band. These days, the talking is done by whoever feels like it
(which normally isn't anyone, but today consists of drummer Richard Colburn
and bassist Stuart David).
     Or at least, that's the idea. Actually, we only get both for about 30
seconds. Having posed for a few photos (which won't come out because this
is a particularly dingy cafe'), Richard hurries oft to check his car, which
is parked on a double yellow line. This leaves us with Stuart, his friend.
and not much time.
     The friend is Neil Robertson; sometime manager, aspiring bassist and
provider of moral support in the face of tricky questioning. As soon as we
reach the table, he turns his tape recorder on. Or rather, he tries to.
Unfortunately, his batteries are dead, so his plan for keeping a thorough
check on NME fizzles out disappointingly. Stuart, meanwhile, has already
started complaining.
     "We don't ask to be interviewed," he rambles irritably. "I don't know
if our press officer goes looking for them, but we certainly don't ask him
to. We're not out to get that sort of publicity.
     "Having said that, I don't mind having my picture taken, it's just I
don't want to go out of my way. I've got a lot of things to do this
afternoon, I've got some important shopping to do. I don't want to spend
any more time on band duties for a couple of weeks."
     Stuart falls silent and Neil flashes him a reassuring glance: it'll be
OK. It's worth rioting that we haven't actually asked a question yet.
Fearful of what will happen if we do, we politely enquire as to why they
object so much to interviews.
     "Everyone in the band likes a good interview," smiles Stuart, "but
there are so many more bad ones than good ones, we all got fed up with
doing them."
     Is that why Stuart (Murdoch) Stopped talking to the press?
     "No, I think he just stopped because of pressure from some people in
the band who didn't like him getting all the attention. I personally think
he should fake more responsibility for his creative role. The rest of us
only know how the band operates, why we do it and what our own input is,
only he knows what he's actually trying to say in his songs and what he
does it for."
     The utter pointlessness of this conversation flashes briefly before
us. Fortunately, with the time at 2.30pm, and with only another
three-and-a-half hours to go until the shops close for the day, Stuart
David makes his apologies and disappears out of the door in search of his
important shopping.
     He is immediately replaced by the ever genial Richard who, having
avoided a possible traffic violation, now wishes to take us to a nearby
studio to meet up with the rest of the band, some 0 whom may even be in the
mood for light conversation. There is even talk of "photographic
opportunities"...

third and final part in two shakes of a lamb's tail

andy