Sinister: midwest picnic (and a just-realized B&S dream)

Amanda Bergman a-bergman at xxx.edu
Sat Apr 18 16:50:48 BST 1998

Hello Dear List,

Anyone else in the lovely American middle west care to convene in Chicago
or the vicinity for a spring picnic? Perhaps sometime in May? Please email
me privately if you would even be remotely interested in such an event so
we can start to organize something...

I HAD A B&S DREAM AGAIN. Weird, and I'm just remembering it as I sit down
to email the list. anyway, the gist of it was that I was working in some
kind of abused children's shelter and they were all watching TV and there
was some special on about this band who did all kinds of lovely
philanthropic things (for kids, mostly) and were garnering praise from all
over the place about their selfless acts of kindness. On the screen was
Stuart Murdoch, holding a little smiling kid in each arm, talking to the
camera about "the music of healing" or something. That's when I looked
behind me and realized that *they were filing the special right in the
shelter where I was working!* Before I could even scream out
"OhmygodStuartyou!R!U!L!E!" and go rushing over to say hello (never mind
that I would be interrupting some kind of live TV broadcast), I looked
towards the back corner where a new group of lights and cameras were being
set up...and in moments, it was Stevie Jackson sitting there with his
acoustic guitar singing "Wrong Love." I nearly died, as that song is one of
my favorites. So I headed over to the corner, singing along as I walked,
and when I got to where he was playing, sat down right near the cameras and
watched him sing. Then Stevie heard me singing, and smiled at me, and after
he was done with the song he turned to me and said "Hello, you bonny wee
lass, come away with me." And then I woke up, and noticed I had worn my
olive green argyle socks to bed...

ok, just kidding about the sock part (Dr. Minka reference there).

I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in Chicago spring has
certainly sprung. Skies are blue, winds are breezy and cool, and the sun is
warm on your shoulders. Weather that would be the perfect accompaniment to,
say, the release of some new B&S stuff. Katrina and/or David, is there any
breaking news about release dates? I'm sure the list is poised and ready
to, at the very least, undertake a new round of "Sonic Confusion" and share
our lyric mishearings.

Well, I'm off to do something productive like finish the tapes she promised
people a month ago (sorry! anyone who was expecting a tape and thinks I
have been totally delinquent, which I have, please email me if you have any
concerns/questions about the tape stuff.)

bye bye,
Swannie

Amanda Bergman
Northwestern University