Sinister: let's just keep it our little secret, okay?

Stephanie smfisher at xxx.edu
Mon Apr 20 05:37:20 BST 1998

Hello fellow sinister-people.

So I subscribed to the regular non-digest version of the list about
a month ago hoping it would inspire me to post more, or at least once
since this is my first post, but it didn't seem to. Other than maybe that
sad songs thread a while back.

But lookey! I've finally found something I can respond to, or maybe I'm
just in one of my phases where I go around posting utter shite.

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998 Teri wrote:

> i love belle and sebastian with all my heart and i've been making as many
> people as i can listen to them so that they see how beautiful they are, but
> there are sometimes when i wish they were just *my* secret.. you all know
> what i'm talking about, yes? when you love a band so much that sometimes it
> sucks that other people like them because you don't think they can
> -understand- how you feel, or you just think that they're not allowed to
> like what you like because it's *yours*?.. i know, i know - i'm being
> selfish and immature.. the more fans the better! i'm not talking about any
> of you sinisters though!  but having just found out that someone i'm not
> very fond of likes b&s, i'm kind of wishing they didn't know who they were.
> although, i suppose it's a starting point to actually liking this person,
> but boo! i don't care.. hehe.. i guess i should just grow up..

I am exactly like that! Not so much with Belle & Sebastain, since besides
me I only personally know one other person who even knows about them at
all. And he's more or less ambivalent about them. But that does happen
with every band I like, or at least the ones I LOVE, I want them to be
successful and I have visions of me being at this nice-sized sold out
concert place and everyone there just loving and worshipping the band as
much as I do. It would be like some sort of commune I suppose. But then I
realise that would probably never be. And I think sometimes I want a band
to be MINE and *only* MINE, well, not literally, I mean, I think people on
this list and others are super-groovy-cool, I just mean that...I guess
like Teri wrote about how some people, I hate this term but I guess it
would be "casual fans" wouldn't understand what I feel like. Which I'm
sure it sounds like I'm being one of those snobby fans who doesn't want
"the kids" to ruin my favourite bands. Okay, I do think that, but the only
time things like that is when a band gets played hours on end on MTV, but
fortunately I choose bands that don't get played on MTV at all. At least
not here in America...but that's a different thread/rant/topic altogether!
And...ummm...I guess the entire point of this was just that I agree,
wasn't it great that I actually wrote other stuff also? Yeah.

Okay, now I'm off to lurking again unless I happen to become inspired to
respond to something else, because I can almost never think of threads on
my own, but oh, well.

Cheers & love,
Stephanie