Sinister: sinister extra-curricular activities

jessica tinystar at xxx.com
Tue Apr 21 13:10:00 BST 1998

>Since SARAH has given me no word as to whether I may join the
>cheerleading squad, I am starting a new movement.  In the true tradition
>and spirit of high school, we should all be involved in extra-curricular
>Sinister activities.  I know GENEVEIVE and I are both photographers, and
>I think there is someone here who works at a lab, so I nominate us to
>head the SINISTER PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB.  Those of you with instruments can be
>the SINISTER MARCHING BAND.  We could also have sports teams and such.
>Maybe an environmental club also?  And a drama club?  What else?
>So who's joining what?  Everyone should form their own clubs, and, in true
>joiner spirit, anyone can join any club.  Yay!

I'm a photographer, and I also play the flute.  I like this joiner spirit,
although perhaps we can have a Sinister Band, just regular without the
marching, for those of us who can't even walk and chew gum at the same
time, let alone try and tackle an instrument and march.  We should maybe
have a Sinister Jazz Ensemble, so that guitarists and bass players don't
feel left out.  Oh, and of course, the Sinister Yearbook, or the Sinister
Newspaper, or both, so that they can be filled up with real photos and Ink
Polaroids and essays and poems, and maybe a little 'Want Ads' section in
the back for people who would like Tigermilk taped, and then a parallel
list of those who are willing to do the deed.

>Where are the rest of the Americans?  Maybe we've been hiding out because
>we don't understand such terms as "crikey?"

I'm Canadian (Toronto's my home), and I've just been hiding due to shyness
and homework.  I quite enjoy the overwhelming British-ness of some of the
messages...using foreign terms comes across as more passionate, I think.
Well, sometimes, anyways.  Us North Americans are just jealous because we
can't say flash things like 'crikey' or 'I'll give him a ring' or 'on the
telly' without looking pretentious, and British folk pass them off with
such ease.  Lucky ducks.

On a tangent, has anyone made their own Belle and Sebastianopoly?  I keep
thinking about it, and what a hit it would be.

This was fun.  Perhaps I'll post more often.

truly,
jessicaxo

Someone had spied on us, I suppose, as we sat beside the canal and ate the
sandwiches, drinking not even orangeade or Coca-Cola but hot milk out of a
thermos.