Sinister: apathy and secrecy and whats a bushmill?!

Perfection As A Hipster Andreas.Hering at xxx.de
Sat Apr 25 19:06:12 BST 1998

Alistair wrote ...

>you don't have to sing 'down with capitalism' or 'down with facism' to
>be political.

Right, you could sing "Boo to the business world!" instead. §;^D

>B&S are political in the way they do,
>or do not do things, and if you want to call that an 'attitude', fair
>enough. i just call it a a way of living. i also think that the way that
>stuart writes can be construed as being political because it is outside
>of common/popular thinking about content of songs/way of writing and by
>it's manner rather than content makes a political comment, if you care
>to see it. it's in interpretation

... and the characteristic feature of artistic expression is offering the
possibility to draw further implications out of the artefact by way of
*continued* interpretation owing the diversity of its expressiveness ... but
as Alistair rightly said, only if you care to see it ... listen closely and
P!O!P! Goes Art, which brings us to Belle And Sebastian. Politics ? I'd be
very interested how anyone could defeat the political message in most
obvious examples like "A Century Of Fakers" ... take the advice of another
thoughtful songwriter ...

"But if a picture means a thousand words
 Then I will paint a book for you
 If you can read between the lines
 The truth for you, nothing but the truth
 Observe
 The Painted Word"

 (Daniel Treacy -> Television Personalities)

>respect, even though you hate me, kids.

"Everyone loves you" (The Nightblooms)

Andreas

The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella
But more upon the just because
The unjust steals the just's umbrella

(Charles Baron Bowen)

.             Ascolta, questo è pish, io sto andando lasciare