Sinister: Pish Factory

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Mon Apr 27 15:27:15 BST 1998

Good afternoon everyone,

Before I embark upon a lengthy discussion of P!O!L!I!T!I!C!S! and P!O!P!
with special reference to the Jamaican general election of 1976, I would
like to take this opportunity to clear up a matter of great importance:
Stuart David's Amazing Technicolour Outburst. May I suggest the following
manner of expressing Mister David's tortured cry of monumental existential
anguish ("Listen, this is pish, I think I'll leave") in the language of
Cervantes?

A ver, esto es pish, me parece que me voy a marchar.

Now, I hope that's cleared that one up. Onto the matter in hand: Popology
and politics. First off, I rather enjoyed the Redskins' classic workers'
anthem "Keep On Keeping On", which played a major role in the formation of
the South Derbyshire Union of Democratic Mineworkers, whose Swadlincote
offices can be found next to KwikSave, opposite the dentist's. Edwina Currie
country, as was. Which brings us neatly to another pop-politics ley line :
Edwina Currie's daughter. Last time I was in Blighty, she was mouthing off
about how her daughter was a really great singer and the Spice Girls were
all slags. Did anything ever come of it? The Jamaican general elections of
1976 produced some really great pop - Fire in Kingston by Yabby You springs
to mind, in which Yabby tours the war zones that were Kingston's ghettos in
the election year of 1976; the rhythm was played by Sly and Robbie at
Channel One. I made that up. There's loads more. I must say, I do like a bit
of pop and politics, the more simplistic the better. But I don't think B&S
is ever so political, apart from sticking up for drips or something. Now,
the Style Council, there was a good political group. I don't know why they
get such rotten press these days.

I almost bought a "new" album for the first time this year at the weekend -
CappaDonna. But I chickened out. I have been calling Mog-W-A-I Mog A-W-I !
How embarrassing!

I think I'd better slink back off to my hole. Speaking of which, I had a
very B&S experience yesterday. I found a bird's nest in a hole in a wall. Oh
how lovely!

Peter

.             Ascolta, questo รจ pish, io sto andando lasciare