Sinister: mishmash

Nicole Elger nicolina at xxx.com
Mon Apr 27 20:10:41 BST 1998

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998 Ayacolor <Ayacolor at aol.com> wrote:

>Subject: Sinister:Seattle listeeeeees

>Hi boys and girls.
>Your colorful Aya again and  again.
>I'm going to move near Seattle.
>Anyone there?
>And anyone think about picnic there?
---------------

Dear colorful Aya,

We think about picnics all the time here in sunny Seattle. I was just in
Volunteer Park yesterday afternoon, lounging on the grassy slope near the
reservoir, thinking about picnics while a line from a Neutral Milk Hotel
song cycled through my mind..."but for now we are young let us lie in the
sun and count every beautiful thing we can see...."

In addition to the current Seattle listees (i know of just one other one,
so anyone else please mail me privately), it looks like the Portland
contingent would be willing to road trip for a good reason:

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998 "Courtney Knopf" <vegasbaby at hotmail.com> wrote:
> And if there is anyone in the Portland/Seattle area on here, you drop me
> a line too. I'll be home in Portland all summer and would love to plan a
> picnic there too!

(Courtney, we'll let you know as soon as we get something planned.)

Aya, you are not the only one on the verge of Seattle migration. Another
list member visited from Southampton UK a few weeks ago and now he's
decided to move here (yippee!) and eat falafel sandwiches at our picnics.
He and I went to the Sit and Spin (combination cafe/club/laundromat) one
night, after being shut out of the Pastels show due to Sleater-Kinney
Mania, when a boy and girl approached and asked if they could share our
booth. Sure, we said, and then they beckoned to their 4 other friends and
the whole lot piled in beside us, making for a cozy situation.  We started
chatting with the boy and straight away the topic went to music. We played
the whole "do you like X band? what about Y band?" for a good 10 minutes
and the boy was amazed and elated to find two people who not only had
heard of, but actually liked, many of the same bands.

The boy went quiet for a minute and then with this hesitant, nearly
lip-biting expression on his face, geared up and said "Ok, there's this
one other band I have to ask you about. I don't know whether you'd know
them or not, but I just really like them and .." <<Insert one long moment,
as my Southampton friend and I look at each other across the table,
thinking oh god, if he says it we'll just die!>> The Boy continues, with
this unsure-if-this-is-ok-to-mention tone, ".. and well, they're called
Belle and Sebastian..?"

After we recover from the burst of emotion that follows his innocent
question, we explain that yes, one could say we have heard of them (ha!).
The boy decides we are his new favorite people and when his friends want
him to go into the other room he declines, saying, "No thanks, I'm going
to stay here and talk to Belle and Sebastian some more."

He's not on the list, but we'll be sure to invite him to our picnic.

xo, nicole.

----- n i c o l i n a @ d r i z z l e . c o m -----

..... HOW STRANGE IT IS TO BE ANYTHING AT ALL ..... (Neutral Milk Hotel)

.             Ascolta, questo è pish, io sto andando lasciare