Sinister: I Could Be Dreaming (Naked)

Mick McMick mick at xxx.com
Sat Aug 1 05:38:35 BST 1998

Jessica Murphy wrote:
> Oh, me too!  They say it's a very common dream type, as dreams go.
> And it supposedly *is* about insecurity -  and the fear of exposure -
> that if you reveal too much of yourself (figuratively speaking), people
> won't like you.  Very appropriate for this list situation, isn't it...
>
> So what would a dream about horses mean?  ha ha. (B & S content)

	I think it was Freud who proposed that there was a symbolic meaning
behind every dream you have. Actually that was one of the driving forces
behind Salvador Dali & the surrealist movement (reading a Dali biography
& thus had to tie that in). Actually, there are several dissenting
opinions on the nature of dreams, in psychology...
	First you have your Freudian theory, which states that dreams are the
expression of your subconscious. Further extrapolating that, one can
analyze dreams and determine what is bothering someone, or the state of
their mental health. This is a technique used by followers of Freud.
However, bear in mind, though Freud was a pretty sharp cookie, the guy
also thought that all women secretly desire to have a penis. So take it
with a grain of salt.
	Another theory is that dreams are your mind's way of preparing you for
an unpleasant event. An example of this would be a dream in which a
loved one dies. It's horrifying, but maybe this pseudo-experience might
prepare you for the real thing. However, dreams have a tendency to
occasionally getting pretty odd, and so maybe this can't always apply.
For example, I'm now quite prepared, should my dad and I encounter an
avalanche of 10-30 foot fish while walking along the beach. Practical?
Um...well probably not.
	Then you have the theory which states that dreams are entirely without
meaning. Something like a brain burp. Rather unpleasant and dreary, if
you ask me. I like to think dreams mean *something*

	Personally I tend to agree with the second one, or maybe a mixture of
all three, depending on the dream. I have a little personal theory of my
own. You know how when you dream in a location, you know it is the
location it's supposed to be, but somehow it doesn't resemble the
real-life location in the slightest? So we have, throughout our lives,
traversed thousands of imaginary dreamscapes. Well I think that when you
encounter deja vu, it's an occasional when the place you happen upon is
very similar to a setting of a dream you once had, and your mind
interprets this as a fuzzy sense that you've been to that place once,
somehow.
	Anyway, not very on-topic, but still lively conversation. I think that
the prevailing theory is that dreams are the easiest thing to talk
about, as well as the easiest thing to talk about on and on and on...

	So, all you Sinisterines ready for a potential trip to school in the
buff?

 /"\_/"\_/"\    Mick McMick - mick at indiepop.com - ICQ#5056758
 \         /    Sandcastle Records - sandcastlerecords at indiepop.com
  |       |     Sandcastle Homepage - http://indiepop.com/sandcastle/
  |       |
  |       |     "Everyone has their own cup of tea.
  |       |          Some just happen to like a lot of sugar in it!"
  |       |               - Me!
. >>> B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at <<<
.     >>> http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html <<<
.                      Nee, nee mun pish etc.