Sinister: Tales of the unexpected

Stuart Gardiner skg21 at xxx.uk
Sat Aug 1 17:47:28 BST 1998

Well I said I'd wait until I had something vaguely interesting to say for
my 100th posting, and I think meeting members of B&S probably counts, so
here goes... The following are a few short ink polaroids (because it's the
traditional way of telling stories on the list, and not at all because I
haven't got an original idea in my head) taken at the Blue Soda social
last night...

9.30pm - Poetry Cafe, Covent Garden
This was taken downstairs in the poetry cafe. As many people as could cram
into the small room and listening to the first of the 2 bands playing,
Calmer. I thought they were suprisingly good for two people playing to
less than 50 people, they both have extremely good voices. Although unlike
the second band they didn't have all their friends cheering and whistling
after every song...

10.30pm
That's me crouched on the floor, listening in on a conversation Isobel was
having with Katrina, and being far too nervous to join in. She's a very
nice person, you'd like her. Although she wasn't really how I'd imagined.

11.30pm
This one is of about 20 of us chatting (and drinking...) on the roof of
the poetry cafe, because the cafe had shut for the night. Isobel's sitting
by the wall on the right of the photo, chatting to Wee Chris, who didn't
seem too happy at having to get up early the next morning to do an
interview. I'd taken up a strategic position next to the wine bottles...

12.10am - Kings Cross station platform
Shit, I've missed the last train back to Cambridge.

12.30am - Poetry Cafe (again)
I'm now spending part of my time wandering round the roof of the cafe
asking people if they've got a bed for the night so I don't have to sleep
in the station, and the rest of the time drowning my sorrows. Everyone's
very sympathetic, even though I just know what they were actually thinking
was "You stupid bugger, you should have left here when you said you would
and you wouldn't have missed the train".

1.00am - On Betterton Street
Steady Mike has come to my rescue and offered a bed for the night, for
which I shall be eternally grateful... Everyone's leaving the cafe now
(the alcohol had run out...) and getting taxis / night buses back home.
I'd also finally had enough to drink by this stage to summon up the
courage to actually speak to Isobel. Actually, that's an exageration, I
managed to mumble a few things to her, and than we both went to talk to
other people before I died of embarrassment or she got too pissed off with
a random dull drunk bloke talking to her.

It was a good night in the end, despite getting back a day later than
planned (and crashing my bike when I got back 'cos some stupid idiot
walked out in front of me, but that's another story). I think I'll go now
and catch up on some sleep...

The Tall Git

PS Side projects - Stuart M plays on the new Hefner album, "Breaking God's
Heart", which was done at the same studios in Glasgow and with the same
producer as the B&S album. And although I don't think Richard actually
plays on the album, he's thanked in the sleeve notes for lending them some
equipment.

. >>> B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at <<<
.     >>> http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html <<<
.                      Nee, nee mun pish etc.