Sinister: Monday poem

Charlotte Hall Charlotte.Hall at xxx.uk
Mon Aug 3 17:05:39 BST 1998

     As this seems to have died out and as I am celebrating some sort of
     peculiar anniversary of circa six months on the list without saying a
     word, I propose to reinstate the Monday poem with the added twist that
     I'd like to nominate someone to produce next week's and I nominate, er,
     Chris Leonard as he is ineffably cute (I know, I've met him) and has
     produce the most exciting competition to come out of Glasgow since,
     since, since his last competition.

     This all, of course, has barely tangential reference to B&S and still
     less to do with the WHO. The poem is by a Scottish poet called Tessa
     Ransford.

     The White Stone of Lewis

     Do not attempt to lift
     the white stone.
     It is smooth quartzite
     and weighs a lifetime.

     You would prove your back
     could take the strain;
     brave, ambitious,
     You could handle any challenge.

     But other strengths are more sustaining:
     Able to change and take changes,
     Lift old habits from heavy soil,
     Get to grips with the smooth surface
     of self-deception.

     Let others do the heaving and shoving
     who shoulder burdens they cannot manage
     and set their sights on defeating others
     in pointless shows of strength.

     You carry the stone with you
     Crystal with humour
     Light with hope
     Smooth with complete integrity.
  >>> B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at <<<
      >>> http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html <<<
                       Nee, nee mun pish etc.