Sinister: The Cult of Sinister

Funkyseb at xxx.com Funkyseb at xxx.com
Tue Aug 4 21:51:00 BST 1998

And then, on Tue, 4 Aug 1998 14:03:56 -0500, krivas at codon.nih.gov added:
>I've always had this notion that this mailing list seems a bit
>"cult-ish"
 I'm glad that someone has noticed this, I was too scared to say anything. You
know what cults are like, I might wake up dead one morning..
           It seems that everyone on the outside can see this, the cultishness
of us fans is always the first thing friends comment upon, and the first thing
papers write about. For instance:
>From the (London) Evening Standard, 26 july
   So fey they make the Cardigans look and sound like Aerosmith, this Scottish
eight piece have a fiercely loyal cult following with their introspective
melancholic brand of instrumental P!O!P!.  <snip>

After I read that I started to think about it. And it's true; we're all cult
members, I mean, why else am I sat typing when I could be down the P!U!B!, why
does a glazed look come over my eyes whenever I hear Tigermilk playing, why
else do I risk a kicking by wearing flares in a town which sees baggy trousers
as dagerously deviant, and quite probaby homosexual.
         I was brainwashed the moment I heard the first few bars of The State
I'm in come crackling over the airwaves back in 96, and I haven't gone for
more than a minute since without thinking of the band.
          So has anyone experienced this before? With the S****s maybe, or
Felt? Does the love affair ever end, is there a cure? This must be how Boyzone
fans feel- I haven't wet my knickers yet, though if I met Stu M, I quite
probably would..

Anyway, I'll shut up now, as I'm probably overreacting.

Katrina wrote:
>The supports for the UK dates have been confirmed.

>Elliott Smith will appear at all three dates and National Park will also
>play London.

Oh. Can't we have a drunk poet like last time? I enjoy a good heckle.
Are National Park any good? I haven't heard of them, though I quite probably
should have.

Anyway, thanks for indulging me,
Seb

****Actors etc.still needed: http://members.aol.com/Pishco/index.html****
  >>> B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at <<<
      >>> http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html <<<
                       Nee, nee mun pish etc.