Sinister: Tango In The Night

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Wed Aug 5 18:25:06 BST 1998

Keith:

->It is that woman who seems a spot unchuffed, although I doubt it'll come
>anything. Hopefully not, it is a nice name, I'm surprised you can copyright
>something as generic as two names in a row, I mean, can you legally define
>the difference between John and Dave, or something - or Robson and Jerome,
>Renee and Renato? Bob Carolgees and Spit the dog? I dunno.

If I was that woman I would be a lot more annoyed about people thinking it
referred to a pishy cartoon than about people thinking it was a possibly
pishy band. I can certainly understand why she might be unn petit peu upset,
because the day might arrive when B&S are more famous than B&S and then
everything would be upside down and back to front. Of course, this can only
happen if the name you "borrow" belongs to something only slightly famous.
It reminds me of Mike Reid on Saturday Superstore asking Cyril Smith, "Are
you a Queen fan, Cyril?" after the video for "I Want to Break Free", and
Cyril replied "I'm a fan of THE Queen, yes." He also pointed out that if
Freddie Mercury wanted to break free, why couldn't he do it dressed as a
man? Which is a fair point. Isn't it curious, the flotsam and jetsam that
clogs up our minds?

As for the legal aspects, we all know that Verve made Verve change their
name to The Verve, which seems highly silly to me. I thought I would
investigate the matter by writing to Verve and asking them if I was in the
clear, legally speaking, if I called my band Cannonball Adderley, or did I
have to call it The Cannonbal Adderley? That was months ago, and they still
haven't replied. Still, I haven't got my band together yet either.

A WHO convention? Quick, I'll go and pinch Sebastian's cheque book while you
go and see how much they'll give you for Belle at the pet shop!

Those of you who have already heard the new LP are only cheating yourselves,
like children who rummage around for their Christmas presents before the big
day. September 7th will be just another Monday for you lot. Unless you're
going to the concert. But even if you are it will be a bit less special than
otherwise. Let that be a lesson to you.

My friend Alan Proudfoot at Spin CDs informs me that there is a new CD of
unreleased Beach Boys goodies on the market. Has he gone insane? Does anyone
know anything about this? Privately, of course. Yes, I know I could fire up
my web browser, but they've just doubled the price.

Finally, book news! A few weeks ago I reverse recommended Terry Southern. I
would now like to reverse my judgement and forward recommend Mister
Southern's "Blue Movie". It's really very funny indeed, and I insist that at
least some of you rush out and buy it at the earliest opportunity.
Especially you, Adrian. And you, Susannah. 6.99 is what it costs in pounds.

Silas Stingy

  >>> B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at <<<
      >>> http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html <<<
                       Nee, nee mun pish etc.