Sinister: ben folds and general whingeing

Shackie HobieS at xxx.net
Fri Aug 7 04:31:48 BST 1998

Tara Widmer wrote:

> <<Ben Folds (of the five..) has been known to say in interviews that he's a
> huge fan of Belle and Sebastian>>
>
> yeah and someone gave yes GAVE the lucky bastard an original copy of
> "Tigermilk" at one of his shows.

are you serious? pooh...i never knew they were into belle..how silly! hmm...

> BFF aren't *that* bad, it's just your average "alt rock" band, he plays
> piano, they are big in Japan apparently.  But anytime you hear a song, like
> their "brick" 4 times an hour for three 1/2 months you'll start to hate it.

actually, they were quite fun about three years ago when i saw them perform in a
wee lil club back when "underground" just started playing college radio and
such...i had nooo idea who they were but it was one of the best shows i had ever
been to...ben is sooo silly...he got up on the piano and did an insane marilyn
monroe impression and robert was all shy and hardly looked up from his bass and
darren was just happy to hit his cymbals and oblivious to everything...twas
lovely...and then they moved onto playing bigger shows opening for horrid bands
like everclear where the entire audience was wearing jeans and/or black leather
(scary) and i told darren he had a lovely jacket and that i appreciated how he
was the only one besides myself not wearing jeans and/or black leather and he
was quite pleasant...but now they play in clubs full of teenyboppers and robert
is now a sex symbol or something and yes, their new album just annoys me and its
quite sad actually...but i still love them for who they...were...or something..

i think the name comes from their attempts to be clever and mysterious but i'd
think they'd be annoyed as hell when the first question every interviewer asks
is "how DID you get that name...tell me, what DOES it mean exactly?" yuck
pooh...but then again, most bands are clever like that..well...yeah...i even get
belle mix-up stuff..."tell me what ARE we listening to here?" "er..belle and
sebastian." "THIS is disney?"
*sigh*

i think this is fascinating that we have a lil mini bff thread going on here
(not like i'm helping any by contributing to it, am i?)
oh...lovely theories btw everyone...so clever...every one...*groan*

pooh...i want this new album already damn it...
oh! i KNOW people on the list went to see arab strap lately...what are they like
live? jes curious cause i believe they're heading my way on the 25th...

> All those complaining about whatsherface talking over the song is sentenced
> to listen to our maligned local alt rock station for 2 days, that's 48 hours
> full of Everclear, Smashmouth and fake ska/swing bands to you.
> We have some umm "Brit" influenced clubs, which are swell if you dig hearing
> 4 year old Pulp and Blur songs, or dealing with 17 year olds in parkas who
> think they are mods.

hehehehe alleleliuah!

~darling
...mowing and chowing...yummmmm

  >>> B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at <<<
      >>> http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html <<<
                       Nee, nee mun pish etc.