Sinister: six impossible things before breakfast*

andrew dean koogydelbbog at xxx.com
Fri Aug 7 10:11:33 BST 1998

deep breath...

1) the new looper single (the a-side anyway, the b-side suffers
somewhat because it contains totured trumpets) is quite gorgeous
despite what susannah says. it also clarifies something from 'a
century of elvis' which has always intrigued me, the line when he's
telling elvis about how him and karn did it all backwards which goes
'we got to know each other and then we met'. which those of you who've
ever met your email crush will instantly identify with...

2) peel played 'brilliant career' on his show last night (at 8:57 to
be precise). was worried the new lp would be over-produced (cos i've
always prefered, say, the session versions of tracks from the last lp)
and whilst this is kinda polished they haven't buffed the life out of
it completely. reminds me of simon and garfunkel. which in turn
reminds me of florida, sigh... (he's also been playing tracks from the
new salako lp in every show this week (colours merge and fly at 9:51
last night), sounds nice, very sixties and nothing like i'd expect
from someone like james 8)

3) strange that someone asked why stuart m was 'pretending' to be left
handed in the new press shot (the one in the lecture theatre) cos if
you watch him spray the wall in the 'dog on wheels' video he also does
this with his left hand...

4) if the threat of legal action should force a change of name i think
the simplest change would be to germanise it - 'belle und sebastian'
8) that said, if i was a french women who'd had a brief spell of fame
in the seventies i'd be flattered that my work had imprinted itself so
fondly on a bunch of scottish rapscalians with an eye for a tune.

5) the big question about the upcoming tour is whether they are going
to be using the big red a.m.k van still. we got to manchester and the
taxi driver dropped us off at the back of the town hall and it's a big
place and we weren't quite sure just where the gig was going to be.
and then we spotted the a.m.k. van and we knew we were going to be ok...

6) a couple of things even keith missed on his roundup of
side-projects and the like: sarah mentions a hobby band in the
chickfactor review, i forget the name, something to do with brothers.
and stevie was seen recently wowwing los angeleans playing guitar with
the bmx bandits.

there, 6 points, all remarkably on-topic, probably more than some of
you have managed since you subscribed...

andy

i think i'd better point out that that picture of st lucy is kinda
misleading. in reality st lucy's hair isn't quite that colour for a
start...

one of the manics on the big breakfast this morning saying that the
two things that keep him going are sport and chips. ooh, cutting edge.
this, to my mind, makes him about as dangerous and out there and
intensely intense as my dad.

isn't banjo kazooie great? i like the way tooty dances around whilst
mumbo is playing the vibes in the opening sequence, bit of a bobby
gillepsie influence there if i'm not mistaken...

* alice in wonderland. or is it alice through the looking glass? i
don't know. anyway, it's the red queen...
==
andrew dean (koogydelbbog at yahoo.com)

  >>> B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at <<<
      >>> http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html <<<
                       Nee, nee mun pish etc.