Sinister: WeeJay 2: This time it's personal

Errington/Woodman user at xxx.com
Sun Aug 9 20:35:23 BST 1998

Alright lovely sinister people; I'm back from my week in Austria with mes
parents. I've spent YEARS reading your messages (....but where has espadrille
gone! I kinda miss him... ....er, I mean him/her!) and have loads to say, but in
the end it all adds up to this:
1. Ok, everyone! Stop making fun of my sig files!
2. Red Monkey: As far as I know, Red Monkey IS Rachel and the other one
who run Slampt. So not Huggy bear then....? I'm in contact with the Slampt
peeps and the've never said anything.... ...ho hum.
3. The Phantom Pregnancies. Thanx whoever mentioned them. W!O!W! they
were good, but I'm sorry to tell you they split in '96 so all talk is now
retrospective I'm afraid :-( You all HAVE to hear their track on my tape tree tape.

Ok, enough of that - I've brought you back some ink polaroids from Austria -
Here you go:

	This one is of an endless sea of cars as far as I can see. It was taken
in a long stay car park in Manchester, and apart from the cars there are wiry
plants and lots of dust. Only the whole dismal scene is rendered beautiful by
'Catholic Education,' the chimes of which turn it into something much nicer.
	This one is of all of us sitting in one of the rooms in the 'Pension Silvia.'
To the left of the picture is my mother. She's reading 'The Game' by A.S. Byatt.
Next to her on the sofa is my stepdad Lance, reading 'Captain Corelli's
Mandolin'. On the right is my sister Katie lying on the bed in a position
intended not to mess up her hair, but.... ....failing miserably. She's reading 'The
Colour Of Magic' with occasional giggles. In the foreground of the picture you
can see I'm reading 'Nana' by Emile Zola. The curtains are closed 'cos it's late
at night.
	This one is of of the side of the Wolfgangsee. At the side is a little
shop taking photos of people in sepia tones and victorian clothing. In the centre-
left is a jetty leading out to the ferry port with a line of sweaty tourists lining up.
Also in the centre two German girls of about ten have released their scraggy
and sodden mongrels. The dogs are trying to attack the 2 swans who have
been there for ages undisturbed. On a bench in front of them an old Englishman
tells another old Englishman that he's seen a swan kill a dog. On the right of
the picture is the White Horse Hotel, subject of an operetta by someone. I'm
reading the end of 'Nana' and poor Zizi has just stabbed himself with Nana's
scissors.
	This one is two German girls whose smiles follow me as I walk down
the street. They must be seventeen or so, and as they sit on the bench and I
continue to walk away from them down the hill, I keep turning and they are still
looking at me. behind them is a copse and an unbelievably steep hill with a
speck of a man mowing it.
	This one is of the Dwarf Garden in Salzburg. All around a loop of a path
are stone statues of dwarfs of various occupations and the rest of the garden is
full of trees under which Me, my mother and my sister find the only shelter in
an incredibly hot day. Under the wall at the edge of the garden is a wall where
three men sit and sing and play a guitar and a flute. They look like something
out of a french arthouse film - perhaps 'Jules et Jim' but with three men.
	This one is in the lobby of the 'Pension Silvia'. The lobby is decorated
with lots of austrian flowers, and outside the steps can be seen leading down to
the road. Mike, the Airtours rep is looking uncomfortable wearing a bright red
uniform. His cool sunglasses only draw attention to how old and worn out he
looks. he's just said he spends every summer season here, and Silvia, the
owner of the place, has suddenly gone all shy and girlish. She's 45 or so and
here face is so red you wouldn't believe it. My family all look thoughtful as they
have read the subtext.
	This is England again, somewhere in Manchester. It looks like England
really does, overcut a-road verges and lots of tarmac. It looks a little dull and
soulless, but to me it looks like home and I love it.

I hope you enjoyed them! they are fun to do - I may try more. I think someone
should compile a best-of compilation of Sinister ink polaroids. In fact, maybe I
will...... But don't hold your breath. If someone does it we should all send them
our addresses and they can send us a copy. hey, maybe Honey Paul could put
it on the site.

			Love 'n' Apfelstrudel
					WeeJay

"...All you can do is laugh