Sinister: Fot the first and last time ...

Ian Turton buffalo at xxx.uk
Tue Aug 11 16:35:33 BST 1998

Joss wrote:

> I watched David Lynch's The Lost Highway. It's
> a load of old tosh, isn't it?? If I ever meet that man I shall twat him
> soundly over the head with a sturdy object for stealing 2 hours of my life.
> I demand them back.
>
> Good films seen recently: Hana-Bi, In Cold Blood
>  Hello to: kevin - dublin, turt, nickie (great tree tape) & everyone else...

Hello to you too, Joss. Get well soon, eh ?

On the subject of films, I'd like to recommend one. I'm not really a film fan.
The vast majority I get to see are at best watchable but cliche ridden, at
worst a disgusting waste of ridiculous amounts of money. The fact that so many
films are tampered with to fit in with a marketing departments ideas of what
the public want also grates.. Still ...

Dead Man, by Jim Jarmusch. A synopsis:

DEAD MAN tracks a young man's Homeric odyssey through the nineteenth-century
American West. Lost and badly wounded, William Blake (Johnny Depp) encounters
an outcast Native American named "Nobody" (Gary Farmer). Contrary to Blake's
nature,   circumstances transform him into a hunted outlaw, a killer and a man
whose physical existence is slowly slipping away. The story leads the two men
through situations that are in turn comical and violent, which ultimately
change their unlikely union into friendship.

It wasn't a particular hit with the critics when it came out (1995). The
beginning sequence seems to be the stumbling block for them. Too long, too
boring. Er, no, seven minutes of beautiful scene setting, twats. There's a cool
Neil Young angular-twangy-guitar-chops soundtrack. And a couple of hilarious
cameos, including Billy Bob Thornton as Big George and Iggy Pop as Salvatore
'Sally' Jenko.

BTW, did anyone mention Romuald et Juliette in their list of ace French films.
Or have I picked another turkey as a favourite ?

Turt

Big George: That's terrible.
Sally: It's horrible.
Big George: Terrible is what it is.