Sinister: on an assortment of miscellaneous postings

Keith Phipps phipps at xxx.com
Tue Aug 11 18:05:26 BST 1998

I'll have to lend support to whoever is sticking up for Ben Folds Five.
They're alright by me, and as far as songs getting overplayed on the
radio, you can do a whole lot worse than "Brick." (Seven Mary Three,
anyone? How about a bit of Marcy Playground?) The fact that they're hep
to the B&S scene only sweetens things in my eye. And who would thought
that a copy of "Tigermilk" would make its way to the Keenan Ivory Wayans
Show? Too bad you didn't have an extra one for Wayans.

"Lost Highway" is pretty far from David Lynch's best film. I think that
the fact that Marilyn Manson was thrown into it in an apparent attempt to
stay current says it all. Lynch has been trying to catch up for a while.
I saw him do a Q&A session not that long ago, and he's pretty
unforthcoming. I think if he could have, he would have answered most
questions with a shrug, a smirk, and a "Well, why do you think donkey was
speaking French in my movie?"

-Keith P