Sinister: September can't come too soon

AAA polyholiday AAA at xxx.com
Tue Aug 11 17:15:59 BST 1998

A few random comments:

* I f'n love Belle & Sebastian .. they're as infallable as a band
can get these days ... impossible to get tired of 'em. Me can't wait to
get me grubby mitts on the new album ... *get in line, eh?*

* Apart from some great musicianship & songs like "Alice Childress",
I quickly jumped off the BFF bandwagon by the time that 2nd album
was released.  Someone PLEASE pair Ben up with a lyricist ... seriously.
The whole preening, pandering, gifted high-schooler "I was never cool
in school" sentiment really wears thin after a while (and yes,
you may throw Barenaked Ladies, et al in that pile as well ...
"Brian Wilson" is a shudder-inducing song).  Brown eyes were also opened
wide once I heard Elton & co.'s superlative 11-17-70 album ... Reg wrote
the book and then some a long, long time ago.

* About a remark about how Q is more for "older" folks:  trust me,
if you were over here in the States and surrounded by pandering,
self-important, out-of-touch "music magazine" corporate
Frankensteins like Rolling Stone (Spin to a lesser degree),
your parents' copy of Q would suddenly bask in a heavenly glow.
(In all fairness to Spin, they put IFYS in their 1997 top 20).
To go against typical heavy fan sentiments of "I saw them first!"
and "They're mine, Mine, MINE!" (fortunately which generally
doesn't happen around here, which is definitely refreshing),
I honestly can't wait until B&S get a little more exposure over here
in the States.  Granted, airplay on typical "alternative" radio
over here will be next to impossible, unless there's some sort
of shitto fake ska single ... fortunately, highly doubtful.  Back
on track with my original thoughts, one word of advice:
NO interviews with Rolling Stone, please.  In fact, bring legal action
against RS if they even mention the band in any way, shape, or form.
It ain't woith it!  Besides, knowing how "hip" RS considers themselves
to be, they won't "discover" B&S until 2003, and by then the world
will be completely dessimated by the y2k bug anyhow.