Sinister: weird and fuzzy

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Tue Aug 11 21:52:59 BST 1998

David wrote:

>several people on the list who seem to have been here since the year dot
>have all surprised me over the past week by saying that they didn't want
>to hear too much of the album too early as it would spoil the surprise.

That's me. Or one of them is me. I like hearing people talk about it when
they've heard it on the radio though.

>weird huh? people who can lay their hands on the thing turn it down!?

That's not me. Incidentally, it sounds like a Sid Krassman line from "Blue
Movie". Not only do I not want to hear, read or see  the album before it's
released, I won't be hearing it until at least two weeks after it's
released, as I fully intend to take advantage of Jeepster's fantastic V!A!T!
free on-line shopping facilities. If everyone keeps going on about how good
Salako are I might get that too.

I liked "Dead Man" very much. I also liked "Lost Highway", even though I
didn't understand any of it. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I really like the
little man who says "I'm in your house". The music's good, I don't think
it's an attempt to be with it and groovy. It reminds me of another nice
film, "The Doom Generation". I think of that film whenever we get a message
from our Transatlantic cousins about record shops. I also think about the
video to 1979 (?) by Smashing Pumpkins. Are you all like that? I'm like
Blakey in "On the Buses".

I remember "The Girl in the Picture", but not much. Big windows that let in
the light.

WHO fans: I once met one in Pasajes Antxo, which is the pits of the world,
very late at night. He was quite old and was wearing a WHO t-shirt. In a
spirit of alcoholic bonhommie, reminiscent of Rab C. Nesbitt's "Bandage!
Bandage!" incident on holiday in Spain, I went up to him and gestured
enthusiastically at his WHO t-shirt. He completely freaked me out by
beckoning me closer to him and giving me a quiet but spirited private
rendition of "We are the mods, we are the mods, we are, we are, we are the
mods!" What a lovely man.

Peter

"I'm in your house"