Sinister: r*lling st*ne

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at xxx.com
Wed Aug 12 02:28:29 BST 1998

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Kimberly Rivas-Plata wrote:
> actually, RS reviewed IYFS last spring I think it was, much to my
> shock. they gave it a pretty decent review as well (can't remember
> exactly what it said but I could go look it up if anyone was that
> interested).

For some reason I continue to subscribe to that rag... Maybe because I
they do occasionally turn me on to something I might not otherwise have
known of, or might have underestimated.  I am not into much of anything
discussed in Rolling Stone.  My taste is all over the map, but leans
toward esoteric electronica. I very much doubt I would have discovered
Belle & Sebastian based on the description from the people at the records
store: British indie-pop that sounds like The Zombies?  No, I'd pass on
that quickly.  And I think you'd agree that description does the band no
justice.

The Rolling Stone review did make it clear that anyone favorably inclined
toward wordy, poetic, somewhat pastoral pop, played by a rather large
ensemble, should check into B&S.  Which, happily, I did.  As I recall,
they gave the album 3-1/2 stars.

--Mark

__  <http://www.xnet.com/~mkolmar/BurningRome> <MPEG & RA audio clips>
    Imminent: SENSELESS CD on Mindfield Records MindCD03 Cathartium 14

                "The electricity is no better off than on."