Sinister: This letter contains no gratuitous Nick Dastoor comment

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at xxx.com
Wed Aug 12 22:42:07 BST 1998

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Mark Casarotto wrote:

> B&S content - hmmm. One of my friends who heard them for the first time
> yesterday was very impressed, but said that they sound like the Stone
> Roses. Any comments?

Beg pardon?  I fail to see the common thread.

> who one or two of you might know - "perhaps just the pure happy pop
> thing.

Again, pardon?  I quite enjoy the poetic melancholy, though certainly
happiness comes through as well.  Depends if we're talking about, say,
"You Made Me Forget My Dreams", or "Judy and the Dream of Horses".

> Any other unlikely suggestions as to B&S bedfellows?

Forgive me if I repeat myself -- I forget what I've told people in private
email, versus here.  But other artists who share the poetic melacholy I
mentioned, or simply make well-refined pop: Prefab Sprout, The Blue Nile,
Saint Etienne, The Smiths.  B&S do bear a slight resemblance to some of
The Kinks' material, like _Village Green Preservation Society_ which a
friend played for me a few times.

Another friend commented that B&S reminded him of some artists on the
Sarah label.  The Field Mice are the only ones I know.  Would you say
Northern Picture Library or Trembling Blue Stars is a significant
development beyond The Field Mice?  Their naivete and greeting-card
sentiment was endearing, but that could become tiresome after a few more
years of it.

--Mark

__  <http://www.xnet.com/~mkolmar/BurningRome> <MPEG & RA audio clips>
    Imminent: SENSELESS CD on Mindfield Records MindCD03 Cathartium 14

                "The electricity is no better off than on."