Sinister: The Poetry Parrot Has Landed!

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Thu Aug 13 09:05:26 BST 1998

Good morning children! For this morning's assembley we're going to have a
bit of poetry. Unfortunately the poem I had chosen is far too long, and the
list would collapse beneath the weight of a thousand failed "Unsubscribe
sinister" messages. It was called "Parsley", written by Rita Dove. You can
look it up if you like. It's very good, good enough for an uneducated
clog-dancing oaf like me to remember it anyway. In the meantime, I have
chosen another poem by the same person. See if you can guess why I chose
it....

THE ZEPPELIN FACTORY
by Rita Dove

The zeppelin factory
needed workers, all right --
but, standing in the cage
of the whale's belly, sparks
flying off the joints
and noise thundering,
Thomas wanted to sit
right down and cry.

That spring the third
largest airship was dubbed
the biggest joke
in town, though they all
turned out for the launch.
Wind caught,
"The Akron" floated
out of control,
three men in tow --
one dropped
to safety, one
hung on but the third,
muscles and adrenalin
failing, fell
clawing
six hundred feet.

Thomas at night
in the vacant lot:
    Here I am, intact
    and faint-hearted.

Thomas hiding
his heart with his hat
at the footbal game, eyeing
the Goodyear blimp overhead:
    Big boy I know
    you're in there.

Right, go back to your classrooms - WITHOUT any noise! - and get your sums
books out. I don't want to hear any talking AT ALL until playtime. Except
for you, Ooon, it's your turn to choose the next poem. Right, file out
quietly the rest of you as Mister Smellcross plays "He's Got the Whole World
in His Hands" on the clapped out piano.

Mrs. Bosoms