Sinister: How I learnt to stop worrying and love Begbie

Mctaggart, Robert MctaggartR at xxx.com
Thu Aug 13 15:41:31 BST 1998

Hello,

Sit down with a stiff drink.  This is going to come as a shock, but ...

Rod Begbie wrote:

>Have 'The Idler' been sent review copies? Cause they were very
complementary >about the EPs last summer.
>The Idler is my favourite magazine at the moment. A magazine dedicated
to >people who'd rather sit around all day, watching telly, listening to
music, and >partaking of recreational drugs, written by people who are
intelligent, witty and >very, very funny.

... Rod is right.  "The Idler" is full of the sort of writing we should
all aspire to.  Sarcastic, well-informed, politically incorrect in all
the right places, and in none of the wrong ones.

There's Louis Theroux's unfinished jokes...where he has the idea for
something funny, which he can't quite get a punchline for, but he uses
it anyway (damn good idea, how many times have good jokes fallen by the
wayside for want of a punchline); the Days Out bit where the reviewer
lists the most spectacularly boring places to go and praises them -
along the lines of "you'd have to be fucking mad to miss Tarquin and
Camilla's eight week basket weaving course in rural Dorset".  There was
a really good article entitled "Nice" a while back, which was just a
list of low-key but lovely things you see on trains, or buses, or in the
street which somehow cheer you up.  And they had a whole piece on
balconies once, and how great they were.

Oh yes, sorry.  The Idler strikes the right balance between witty
cynicism at careerism and the work ethic, pleasure from simple things,
and plain old subversive decadence.  And it rules.

Sorry, if you know all this already.  But in spirit I think it's far
more on-topic than the rabid dribblings of Manics fans, or yet another
mail saying "oh-I-like-Ben-Folds-Five-too-they're-good".  Of course,
that's just my opinion ~

Love tag x

PS Genevieve, come back.  Some of us miss you even if the "grown-ups"
don't.