Sinister: Orchids + Duke apology

Ian Turton buffalo at xxx.uk
Thu Aug 13 16:34:53 BST 1998

Lucy Munro wrote:

> The other Sarah band I've heard likened to B&S are The Orchids, who
> shared a dancey tendency with the Field Mice's later stages - I've
> just got some tapes of their stuff, which I haven't had a chance to
> listen to properly yet, but I'd say that "Electronic Renaissance" is
> the closest reference point.  That and a similar Scottish slightly
> mumbly vocal style (that's supposed to be complimentary).

If you can get hold of their first album (10" vinyl, natch), 'Lyceum' you'll
be in for an absolute treat. No 'dance element', but eight very gorgeous pop
songs. The best thing Sarah records ever put out, anyone ? You could ask
someone to tape it for you. Hey you could ask me. But you'll have to get in
a small queue, cos I owe his lordship the D of H a tape. Speaking of which,
sorry I haven't written Alastair, but I've been all over the shop lately,
honest. And have you got the Bats brill 12" 'Made Up In Blue' cos if you
haven't I can put it on the tape. You're gonna get a C90 now, cos there's
too many Richard Buckner songs to do justice too. I'll write soon(ish) re.
my impressions of your tape, when I've had chance to listen to it more than
halfway through the Stars of Heaven songs.

Laters,

yerluvinuncleTurt