Sinister: dublin and the summer

Jonathan Willett jonwillett at xxx.com
Thu Aug 13 17:20:14 BST 1998

hello all.  This is my first post, being one of the numerous recent
converts.  B&S has been a soundtrack to many events of the past year
since I discovered them last summer in Massachussetts.  I've since met
numerous fanatics who have, once testing my faith, let me hear copies of
bbc sessions, live nyc shows, and the much coveted tigermilk.  Needless
to say I became a follower.  So now I am in Dublin working at a bar and
making the best of it.

One goal of coming to this part of the world was being closer to a
possible B&S gig.  So I am awaiting patiently news of upcoming shows.
It would be painfully ironic if they took off for the states and I
missed them while they were here, and there when I go home.  I'm quiting
my job at the end of august and heading off on one of those backpacking
hostel deals that so many people seem to be fond of at this time of the
year.  Scotland, England, and a few other places are all on the agenda.
If anybody could suggest events, places, festivals, cheap eats, or lush
fields to see in my travels I would be much appreciated.

Me and about fifteen other people were treated to the amazing Michael
Hurley here in Dublin the other night.  I don't know if many of you have
heard of him but he's this old american folk singer who has been kicking
around since the early sixties.  He played with the likes of the Holy
Modal Rounders and the Clamtones.  He's generated a renewed interest in
the indie world as being 'outsider folk', which as far as I can tell
means he's been ignored his whole career.  Anyway, it was a great show,
with sad ballads and goofy songs about flowers and refusing to work.

Having to come to a cypercafe and spend inordinate amounts of money for
email, I don't know how active I can be on the list.  I've seen the
future and it looks expensive.

"In the city in the rain
I hear the screaming of tires
In the city in the rain