Sinister: Number Ones

Cassell Professional Publishing d.barker at xxx.uk
Fri Aug 14 13:22:25 BST 1998

I know this is counting chickens rather, but when was the last time a number
one album didn't have a single taken off it? It must be a very long time.
Unless, of course, that woman who sings on cruise ships counts. Was there a
single off her album. If there wasn't, it makes my question very redundant
indeed.

As for the Orchids and Field Mice stuff, I reckon the Orchids are much
closer to B and S in spirit. There is a cheekiness to most Orchids material
that the Field Mice, for all their qualities, never possessed. Am I alone in
thinking that Trembling Blue Stars are the worst of Bob Wratten's
incarnations so far? I just think most of the Field Mice and NPL stuff was
so much better. My absolute favourite song of his is Dear Faraway Friend, an
eleven minute epic that was on a NPL EP. If you listen to the feedback at
the end very loud on headphones, it really feels like your head is
disintegrating. Lovely.

Is anyone else bored rigid by feedback? Is it to do with growing old? It's
one of the reasons I love B and S so much, that they don't bother with it.
It just seems a bit lazy, really.

One more thing: anyone who's ever swooned over Nick Drake should rush out to
get a copy of the Union Wireless seven inch called Some Morning. It sounds
like the last ten seconds of a Nick Drake song (I think it's Hazy Jane 2)
stretched out for five minutes, and it is totally lush.

Later,

DAVID