Sinister: Idle Loafers

Hopkins, Tim t.hopkins at xxx.uk
Fri Aug 14 15:06:16 BST 1998

Roberto di Charietta Miller wrote:

> I'm very much in favour of ska music.

Me too, although I think the current crop of US alt.ska-punk things miss the point a bit. Then
again, what would I know?
I once shook hands with a man who had shaken hands with Clement Dodd, aka Coxsone, the most
important record producer in ska history. Having said that, the fellow whose hand I shook was in
a band supporting Rancid, and no doubt he'd shaken the hand of somebody Rancid more recently
than Coxsone's. So I decided to wash my hand after all.
I have to admit to never having heard Rancid, but they don't sound very good to me. I think it
might be the name. I expect they R!O!C!K!. Keith, oh keeper of the Sinister guitar, can you
enlighten me?

> I'm going to get some one day. Quite
> possibly "The Best of Don Drummond", who murdered his wife. Probably because
> she said Don was a great trombone player and, no doubt, a great bloke, but
> ska? No way, Don. 2-Tone is my cup of tea too. Do Nothing. Ska is one of the
> poppiest forms of pop in pop history.

Poor Don D, reckoned to be one of the two greatest trombonists in the world, (along with J J
Johnson), he ended his days far too early in some asylum. But his records touched genius. I'm
already planning my ska/rocksteady tape for Peter, here. It'll start with the marvellous 'Fat
Man' by Derrick Morgan. It will also include 'Fatty Fatty' by Clancy Eccles, and 'Fattie Fattie'
by The Heptones. Can you spot a theme?
But, yeah, ska is absolutley poppalicious. Music for listening to and dancing to. Yum.

> Tomorrow we're going to a pre-nuptial celebration in some vulture infested
> mountains, enabling us to play my favourite form of Chicken - who can lie
> still the longest.

You got that idea from The Idler, didn't you?

Keith wrote:

	Here's one of my current favourite pages... the dotmusic all-time greatest
	album charts.

Keith likes this site becase it has 'My Generation' by the Who listed as a '90s album, and it
makes him feel contemporary.

I read Smash Hits.

Cheers

Tim