Sinister: Tuesday Well

Reid Dossinger reid.dossinger at xxx.com
Fri Aug 14 15:43:54 BST 1998

So this morning, I'm flipping through a Spin magazine that I bought to
read about the history of the Beastie Boys (which, by the way, I think
is one of the most fascinating histories/transformations in modern
music), and there's this little two page article on the "new wave of
'folk'".  I was interested...it had Elliot Smith and I wondered if they
would mention B&S.  Thank God they didn't, because they actually
seriously used a word that I had only used as a joke before:
"acoustica".  You're excused for the dry heave.  "Electronica" is bad
enough.  Everything played on an acoustic guitar is all of a sudden the
same genre?  Let's hope this doesn't catch on.

But my real business is to set the record straight (pardon the pun):

> well i must omit,or at least dispute against this rumor that all new releases
> in the US come out on Tuesdays,for this is not true. The latest Beastie Boys LP(hello
> nasty) came out on a saturday,disproving the only-Tuesday rumour.

I swear, on any holy book or lyric sheet you can find, that ALL (except
independently released) albums in the U.S. come out on Tuesdays,
including the Beastie Boys album, which I bought on the TUESDAY that it
came out.  Now, once again, it's not a law that record stores can't sell
it until Tuesday, but if labels find out that stores have sold it before
Tuesday, they (supposedly) will stop selling new releases to that
store.  I'm not just trying to be argumentative, but I spent 6 years of
my life working in three different record stores in two different cities
that were over 6000 miles apart.  I read every Billboard and ICE
magazine, and I promise that new releases come out on Tuesdays in the
U.S.  It's the way it's done.  You may have found a store that decided
to sell Hello Nasty early, but the OFFICIAL release date was on a
Tuesday.  It's not a rumor.

Sorry for making this a public letter, but I had to make sure it was
known.

I swear to you all,
    Reid