Sinister: You ain't ever gonna get ahead, giving head to The Man

poetryplace2 poetryplace2 at xxx.uk
Fri Aug 14 17:04:01 BST 1998

I have four things to say to you lot:

1) Strolling around Covent Garden, like the modern-day flaneur that I am. I
have been slightly alarmed to see a number of enigmatic posters proclaiming
“honeyz are coming”. I could only presume that Mr Mitchell’s offspring had
matured at a frightening rate and were preparing to wreak Godzilla-style
havoc across the western world. Imagine my suprise then, when I switched on
Channel 4’s “Fresh Pop” the other day, to see that the “honeyz” are, in
fact, three lissome lovelies in an Eternal-esque schmaltz soul troupe. I can
only say that they obviously get their looks from their father.

2) A poem for Pistol Pete Miller and Kool Keef

Paul Muldoon
Jimi Hendrix: Are You Experienced?

'Like being driven over by a truck’
was how Pete Townshend described the effect
of the wah-wah on ‘I Don’t Live Today’.

This predated by some months the pedal
Clapton used on ‘Tales of Brave Ulysses’
and I’m taken aback (jolt upon jolt)
to think that Hendrix did it all ‘by hand’.

To think, moreover, that he used * four *-track
* one *-inch tape had (jolt upon jolt) evoked
the long, long view from the Senior Study
through the smoke, yes sir, the smoke of battle
on the fields of Laois, yes sir, and Laos.

Then there was the wah-wah on ‘Voodoo Child
(Slight Return)’ from Electric Ladyland.

(This is from Mr Muldoon’s forthcoming collection, ‘Hay’. You may be
interested to know that Paul is the beloved President of The Poetry Society.
What a funky organisation we are.)

3) I saw that Avengers film last night. And you know what? It’s not bad. In
fact, for the first twenty minutes it is superb. The styling is terrific,
the direction at times is like Tim Burton directing Alice in Wonderland, Uma
Thurman looks like a sexy preying mantis, and Ralph Fiennes is almost...
witty! I give it a big trousers thumbs-up.

4) On the rare occasions I switch on XFM and don’t have to switch it off
again to avoid another track off the new lp, I keep hearing a song which has
the charming chorus ‘You ain’t ever gonna get ahead, giving head to The Man’
. It is my single of the year, already. Can anybody enlighten me, please,
to who this band is?

That is all
Trousers
xxx