Sinister: American Radio and TV Commercials - Double Take

Tara Widmer TWidmer at xxx.com
Mon Aug 17 20:31:08 BST 1998

<<did anyone notice the velocity girl song in the volkswagon commercial a
year back? >>
they must have some hip'n'happening young'uns at the VW commercial-making
place because there are lots of offbeat songs featured in their ads, in
addition to lush/stereolab/velocity girl/moonpools&caterpillers, they used
"little fluffy clouds" by the orb for the new Beetle ads and erm, Hurricane
#1.  So points for originality at least. And is that "lust for Life" in the
new one or just a rip-off?
There was a Saint Etienne song used in some shampoo ad too, my heart nearly
burst with happiness upon recognizing it! did anyone else catch that?

<<There's "Girl 7" ... basically a list of places, alternating between bits
of London and exotic places "Primrose Hill, Statton Island ???, Tulip
Farm...".>>
There is a lovely lyric database for this top p!o!p! crew at
www.saint.etienne.net.

They also have another "list" song called "Fake '88" featuring Stephen Duffy
wondering what people will remember the decade for, then name-checking
Transformers, ET, rah-rah skirts, Dirty Den and lots of people whom I might
recognize had I grown up in England. (Phil Redmond? Stephen Waldorf?  Steve
Lynex?) Also does REM's "It's the End of the World..." count as a list?

<<If B&S decide what sort of commercial to have their music played with, I
wonder what sort of products they would endorse?>>

Obviously they're going to continue in their tradition of corporate whoredom
and pandering the masses by doing a Gap advert, maybe "khakis are pish" or
something.

Oon's poems were lovely!

ta ta
tara

PS props to HoneyHoney for making the digests, more um, digestible