Sinister: listing to star bored

Ian Turton buffalo at xxx.uk
Tue Aug 18 12:57:54 BST 1998

duke of harringay wrote:

> lists: my favourite list song is St Etienne, 'Fake 88'. it's on the
> fan-club cd 'i love to paint' and also appeared on one of those Volume
> compilations. it has stephen duffy reciting a whole load of things from
> the 80s. it's very funny, but only, i suspect, if you're old and sad.

Haven't heard it myself, not really a big St. Etienne fan but it sounds like
a neat counterpoint to Denim's 'I'm Against The Eighties', from 'Back In
Denim'. By neat coincidence, my favourite list song is the similarly themed
'The Osmonds' from the same album, which is Lawrence telling us about all
thing's 70's. I guess I like it cos he mention Bell records. Oooooh, the
Drifters on Bell records. Oh yes, they made me what I am. And no matter how
it ends ...

then he done gone and writ:

> the new Lambchop record has no list songs, as far as i can make out, but
> it is very very fine indeed. out the same day as the new B&S record,
> which will make for a fine double bill

Crikey yes. I've been driving the neighbours nuts with Kurt Wagner's lovely
Nashville falsetto. It's cool the way their inserts keep advertising the
Country Music Hall of Fame. I've been to Nashville twice and missed it both
times, simply cos' I couldn't haul my arse out of The Idle Hour tavern on
Music Row. Bit of a dive, but if the swimming cap fits ...

Did you know Greg Luganis is gay ?

Berlimey, there's more:

> the 'new country' article in Uncut this month is most amusing...

Care to expand on this just a wee bit ? Amusing cos it bollocks, or cos it
takes the piss amusingly, or, er, what ? I guess I could buy it, but I've
got a bit of a downer on music mags at the mo (especially music mags writing
about my beloved Country music) and I don't fancy having my newsagent
shouting 'this ain't a library mate' at me while I'm reading it in the shop.
I don't fancy having my newsagent full stop.

Side 1 is a wrap. That famous 'difficult second side' still to do.

Laters,

yluTurt

Tragedy is an imitation of an action - Aristotle